cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Upgrade Experience and Beyond

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I toyed with the idea of sending this 'feedback' as a "complaint" but decided in the end that ultimately O2 hadn't contravened any of their terms or conditions of the agreement I hold with them; the issue I have is with their process and procedure - both in terms of the upgrade, and the way they hamstring their very good Customer Service Advisor. This is a plea for O2 to improve their ways of doing business and communicating by the time my 24 month contract is up, at which point, if they have not, I will be taking my business elsewhere (at times over the last 2 months I wish I had done so already).

I have been an O2 customer since 2004/05 and as my upgrade date neared I called O2 (21/05/17) to see what options where available to me - I was given details and the advisor I spoke to kindly agreed to waive the remaining one month handset charge (a decision I presume was taken to retain my custom). I chose a phone and was told it would be delivered the next day. The next day (22/05/17) the handset arrived. Upon taking it out of its box the phone looked shiny and new, but there was one problem, it was like carrying a TV around with me, it was too big and would not fit in 90% of the pockets on trousers, jeans and shorts that I own. So I decided, under my 2 week "Change Your Mind" rights, that I would return the phone and select an alternative (I had charged the phone but never turned it on, that was the degree to which I didn't like the phone due to its size). I thought it would be a simple process of returning the phone, fully boxed, to a nearby store and the process could be started again.

The following day (23/05/2017 2 days after my initial contact and order) I called the Customer Helpline, following tweets to O2 when I was told the phone could not be returned in store as it is a different stock to the Online and Phone sales, and they advised the same, and that to return the phone I could either print my own postage label and send back, or await the delivery of jiffy bag to pop the phone in and return - as a thrifty thirty year old I opted for the jiffy bag as it would probably arrive before I had chance to get a suitable jiffy bag anyway.

1st Question - it is easier to return a product in store in many scenarios. I, the customer, see O2 as one company, not a company split in to three (store, online and phone). Upon receiving a new phone which I did not like, I wanted to return it for one which I did, immediately. Why not make it easier for the customer to return unwanted devices either by post or in store?

As the following Saturday approached there was no sign of my Jiffy Bag (the Saturday was the 27/05/17 - 4 days after calling to ask for one) so I contacted a very helpful advisor over the phone who advised that a second jiffy bag would be posted out. Upon ending the call, I received an email to say the jiffy bag had been posted - I did not receive one following the first call, so I can only assume the request to send the jiffy bag internally was sent/processed. Had I not chased this, I would never had received a jiffy bag and would have been stuck past the 14 day change your mind period, and stuck with a phone too big for my pocket and liking. I was also advised that once I had returned the phone, I would have to call to check it had been received and the upgrade process could be started again.

Question 2 - I receive multiple text messages a month from O2 about offers which I have no interest in, in addition to email updates. Rather than making the customer make yet another phone-call (no customer likes having to call), why not have an automated serviced whereby once the phone is received and checked, an automated text message is sent out?

The jiffy bag arrived during the w/c 29th May and the phone was posted back the next day. The following Saturday (03/06/17) I called Customer Services and they confirmed that the phone had been received back but hadn't been checked and accepted, so my upgrade process could not re-start - this is now 13 days since I ordered the first phone, and 11 days since I contacted about returning the phone. I was advised the call back the following day to check the phone had been re-accepted and to re-start the order process - this would be roughly the 6th call of my upgrade process.

Excited at the prospect of ordering my new phone (again) I decided to check online to see whether the phone had been accepted later that night. To my delight it had. I knew what phone and tariff i wanted (I'd had 2 weeks to ponder my options) so I started the process. When I got to the delivery options it seemed that the phone would not be available at my local store for another 2 weeks and the same if I wanted it delivered to home. However, an alternative nearby store said it was in-stock and could be collected the next day, so I took that option knowing I could nip out for it. Upon placing the order I got my order confirmation email and then a second email stating that the phone wasn't in stock and would be at least another 2 weeks. This was highly frustrating as this was not as advertised and was the sole reason I chose to collect the phone from this store, but I thought, not to worry I'll be able to change my delivery options and get it delivered to either home or work, or at least my local store. Upon contacting Customer Services I was informed that this simple admin task was not possible and that if I wanted to change my delivery/collection option I would have to start the upgrade process for a third time. This is ridiculous, the phone was not in stock yet so why couldn't this be amended?

Question 3 - when your systems and processes do not work and the customer is given false information when placing an order, why not do your best to accommodate the frustrated customer?

I finally received and email on the 15/06/17 stating that my phone was ready for collection and collected it the following Saturday (17/06/17) - some 2 weeks after placing the initial re-order.

The phone worked fine and was of a suitable size - I was happy, and looking forward to redeeming my £20 Amazon Gift Voucher. I waited until 07/07/17 (over 30 days after placing my order as per the leaflet received with the phone) to click on the link provided to redeem the voucher (www.sonymobile.com/O2amazonoffer). Once clicked the resulting page stated that the page was no longer available. Following a search of the Sony Mobile website I could find no reference to either O2 or the Amazon voucher. Following tweeting all 3 parties the first to respond where Amazon who offered advice on redeeming a gift card and didn't seem to understand my issue. O2 then responded stating that this was an issue I should take up with Sony as it is their website. I am still waiting for Sony to respond to my query.

Question 4 - as my contract is with O2 and the phone/tariff was purchased through O2 who offered the £20 giftcard offer, why should I, the customer, then have to rectify an error with your supplier? Surely there must be many others experiencing the same problem - if they all contact Sony this will be both inefficient and most likely highly frustrating for your supplier.

I must add at this time that everyone I have spoken to throughout this never-ending process has been helpful and nothing but professional, but they seem hamstrung by the way O2 operate and their processes and systems.

I hope, as Telefonica are an ISO 9001 certified company, they will review and act upon this feedback or when my contract is up again in 23 months, I will have no option other than to see what is on offer from your competitors.

Please also note, despite being an O2 customer for almost 14 years I don't believe I have received one advantage for this. I receive/review O2 Priority Moments etc but as someone who doesn't live in the inner city, I do not have access to many of the retailers listed in the offers.

I welcome your response,

Glenn

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
@Marjo @Martin-O2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Eklevaya
Level 3: Thinker
  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

O2 as a company seems to be working in silos:

O2 mobile / O2 insurance / O2 customer care - with no possibility of a simple admin change / and communication between them.

Any issue resolution which might need such a communication to resolve any matter -  is something they cannot do as a 'communication company ': I have been informed plenty time in the last 10 days of communicating with all the listed part of the business.

Definitely not recommending O2 to anyone I know !! 

Eklevaya

Message 4 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Sorry to hear about the bad upgrade experience you had @Anonymous I've passed on your questions and feedback to the rest of the O2 team. I may need a bit more info from you and will be in touch via private message if this is the case. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 5