cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An observation ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google has replaced the Encyclopoedia Britannica D'oh!

Yes, it's taken me 3 years on the forum to realise this & use Google with confidence ... until recently I was concerned about the sourc(es) of some posts

As a kid I used the EB for help with homework & used the town reference library extensively ... in the days when big notices of Silence & Quiet Please were there

Credit personally & publicly to @Bambino for 'Google Is Your Friend'

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The thing is Jane.....Google can direct you to any site for information. I usually find Wikipedia is one of the best ones. It's so simple to type a question into google.....then go through some of their recommended sites and choose the best to suit your needs. wink

Encyclopaedia Brittanica is quite outdated now as you say

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I use Google for all sorts of searches including the meaning of words. I admit I would be lost without it.

I also admit I rarely read the posts on Google.i'm not that interested in celebrities' private lives. If I want news I have CNN on my phone and can view BBC News on my phone, tablet and, of course TV.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Cleoriff & @Glory1

I shall get into the habit of Wikipedia from now on 

I don't do the celebrity posts either ... I get news off BBC Radio 4 or my mobile

Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All I will say about Wiki is be cautious.
Anyone can update a wiki and unless the info has been verified, it may not be current or correct.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Anyone can update a wiki and unless the info has been verified, it may not be current or correct.

thank you @MI5 ... I didn't know ... & it's this sort of thing I was fearful of 

Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

It is also easy to see if it has been verified. Or awaiting confirmation of source.

It is certainly a lot more current than Britannica which went out with the ark.

Also with Wiki you usually have a list of bibliographical sources for reference.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

It is also easy to see if it has been verified. Or awaiting confirmation of source.

It is certainly a lot more current than Britannica which went out with the ark.

Also with Wiki you usually have a list of bibliographical sources for reference.

thank you @Cleoriff

Message 8 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Ahh where would we be nowadays without good old Google? It's a great resource isn't it 😁
Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Ahh where would we be nowadays without good old Google? It's a great resource isn't it 😁

I have used it 3 times this morning.....

1) To check out how old Tom Hardy is...(39) Dammit slight_frown

2) To check whether there will be another series of Taboo planned (NO)

3) When is Cap'n Jack making a re-appearance in his new film (May 25th 2017)...too long to wait.

All this will show you where my mind is drifting this morning....Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18