cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely TERRIBLE customer service

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to get a PAC code to move to a new service provider. I rang yesterday at 6pm and got a recorded message saying they were closed - despite the published opening times being up to 9pm.
I rang again today and I am still on hold waiting for one of their "UK Based advisors" to become available. 1 Hour 32 minutes so far - How much Take Than on jold music can you take?
I tried emailing but got a standard reply which tells me to ring the phone number that I am still waiting on
Message 1 of 120
119 REPLIES 119

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Well done for following it through and a good result. Your situation does however differ from the standard gripe about the price rise that have been posted in other threads.

Message 91 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable
thankyou.

I would like to know why you think it is different?

Aside from the rather interesting contract, I and many others signed via tesco, the gripe is still the same.

We were all sold contracts on the assumption they were 'fixed'. Something that is so on-topic, Offcom is now being forced to address it.

When you take at a contract for a landline, how many times do you see a 'fixed' figure for the line rental over a set period?

When you take out a deal with the energy suppliers over a set period for a standard tariff, do you get told exactly what your going to be paying each month?

Please be careful when you talk about 'fixed' deals with utility companies as their 'fixed' deals really are 'fixed'. How much your bill is will ALWAYS vary according to what you use but the 'fixed' energy tariff you signed up for will never change, even if they have a price rise.

How do I know all this? Well, put aside I used to work in the industry, I'm on such a deal, fixed until April 2014. My unit price is 'fixed' regardless of increases (or decreases) imposed by my chosen supplier. This is an honest and genuine 'fixed' deal.
Message 92 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable

Companies can always change their terms when it suits them, it's in the t&c

Message 93 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes they can, along with price changes.
Thing is, when those changes (whether price or contract) are to your 'Material Detriment' you must be allowed to leave without penalty. This is legally binding Offcom rules.

In fact, it's even in O2's current agreement (though questionably worded);

8.4(d) we change the terms of this Agreement to your significant disadvantage.

And in mine, it's even easier;

8.4(c) we increase any of the Charges for the elements of the Service you are using or change this Agreement to your disadvantage. In this situation paragraph 8.3 will not apply.

This is the main reason I called O2 on 8.4(c) of my contract, because I was never going to accept such vague and subjective terms as 'significant disadvantage in O2's opinion' and the RPI specific wording.

Nobody is disputing that companies can change contractual terms, simply that they MUST allow you to leave when those changes are to your 'DISADVANTAGE' in YOUR opinion 😉
Message 94 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes they can, along with price changes.
Thing is, when those changes (whether price or contract) are to your 'Material Detriment' you must be allowed to leave without penalty. This is legally binding Offcom rules.

In fact, it's even in O2's current agreement (though questionably worded);

8.4(d) we change the terms of this Agreement to your significant disadvantage.

And in mine, it's even easier;

8.4(c) we increase any of the Charges for the elements of the Service you are using or change this Agreement to your disadvantage. In this situation paragraph 8.3 will not apply.

This is the main reason I called O2 on 8.4(c) of my contract, because I was never going to accept such vague and subjective terms as 'significant disadvantage in O2's opinion' and the RPI specific wording.

Nobody is disputing that companies can change contractual terms, simply that they MUST allow you to leave when those changes are to your 'DISADVANTAGE' in YOUR opinion 😉

They don't have to let you leave without penalty. You signed a legally binding contract & must stick to it. It's up to them if they change the pricing but inflation can't be helped. It's a fact of life 

Message 95 of 120

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Not sure but I think robbie has already stated in another thread that he has been allowed to leave without penalty?

Message 96 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Not sure but I think robbie has already stated in another thread that he has been allowed to leave without penalty?

I think so but can't remember which thread though

Message 97 of 120

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Stuart, sorry to be patronising but actually, yes they do. I suggest you read my post re; 8.4(c) of MY contract. Remember, that contract is legally binding, on BOTH sides. Still don't get it?

Thank you for your time today when we discussed your account and I hope that our conversation has restored some faith back in O2 for you.

So to confirm our discussion – I will be disconnecting your account (Mobile No. ***********) with immediate effect and waiving all termination fees. You will receive a full and final invoice from O2 within 14 days and as you have already paid line rental up to 18th January you will have a credit on your bill for line rental from the 11th January to 18th January and also the goodwill gesture placed on by our Slough store will be included on that bill. You will have no further debits/charges applied to your account. Once you receive your final invoice showing the credits you can either call our customer service department or go to www.o2.co.uk/finalbillrefund and request the credit back electronically. This will then be paid into your bank account.

I will monitor your account to ensure that the above is actioned for you however you may receive automated information that I cannot prevent from being sent out. Please ignore any communications you may receive asking you to make payment as I will deal with this for you should the need arise.

This was following an O2 manager who (as expected) checked out my contract with O2's legal team and conceded that I had understood my contract correctly and as per that contract, would be closing my account on that basis if I still wanted to. Naturally, I accepted gratefully.

How was I able to pull off this little stunt? Easy, I read my contract, ALL of it Smiley Very Happy

Message 98 of 120

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I am rather impressed:)

Your contract as I understand it is slightly different than the post march 2012 contract isn't it?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 99 of 120

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Yes it is as I pointed out previously. The later contract wording was changed (I assume because they knew a price rise was on the horizon).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 100 of 120