Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G data drop outs in Central London

Reason077
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Problem: Despite seemingly strong signal (4G showing 3-5 bars on my iPhone 6), data is either extremely slow or (more and more often) there's NO data working at all. If I go into settings and turn off 4G, so that it is forced to connect to the 3G network, then data works normally.

This problem seems to have been getting worse and worse over recent months, always during the day, in certain areas of central London. eg: In the city, along the south bank, around Spitalfields/Shoreditch, etc. Rarely if ever happens in less crowded areas so I suspect it's some sort of overloading problem with O2's network.

Very annoying! Sort it out O2!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
It's the tourist season.....loads of Europeans are here roaming like at home
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Indeed it is the network unable to cope with the number of users.
Network upgrades are being rolled out but it is a slow process I'm afraid.
Certainly o2 won't "sort it out" overnight!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
In fairness, i think the biggest problem is the density of buildings in London, which doesnt help, added to the number of users per cell, and bandwidth required per cell.. I've never had any issues outside in any part of London, its the usual tube and train stations...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 18

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Reason077, thanks for your feedback regarding the data speeds. We regularly send community feedback over to O2 from here and will include yours as well.

Please do post again if you have any additional feedback, would love to hear it!

Message 5 of 18

Reason077
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"It's the tourist season.....loads of Europeans are here roaming like at home"

Do tourists get to roam on 4G? Because I always seem to be stuck with a 3G signal when on the continent - and pitifully slow data speeds!

Message 6 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Virtually every other network in the world lets their customers roam on 4g except for o2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Virtually every other network in the world lets their customers roam on 4g except for o2.

https://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/top-5-4g-lte-broadband-providers-in-nigeria.122470/

I wonder if Nigerians who come to UK can roam on 4G ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 18