cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30GB tariff 'Free Upgrade after 12 Months'

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am just wondering if anyone else sees the uselessness of this supposed free upgrade deal?

I'm a year into my 24month contract, I've paid £300+/- off my 128GB iPhone 6s Plus, got ~£300 left to pay. I'm now eligible for the 'Free Upgrade' which is actually a trade in on my old phone for the new one.

So... I've paid £300 in, I trade my old one in, they give me ~£300 instead of trade in value of £215 in order to pay off the remainder of the phone plan... then I want to get a new phone but get no money off the new one, or deals... so I've paid £300 lost my old phone and have to pay full price for a new one? How does his benefit the consumer? All it does is give them a new phone but they lose out on the money they've already paid into the old one and get no real benefit from the deal. Yet o2 get the £300 your old phone and charge you full whack for a new one. This is absolutely pointless!

You should at least give the consumer some sort of discount off the new one. How is this a 'free upgrade on us' o2? It's not entirely on you if you take back our old device and don't give us anything back is it?

I personally will now keep my phone until the end of my 24 month contract, I can then sell it myself and make some cash back for myself and then get a new phone, most likely not with o2 as the tariff I am on is costly and useless with this stupid so called free upgrade 'on us' offer.

Any others thoughts on this stupid so called deal?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Copied parts of their page:

'on one of our 20GB or more tariffs, and after 12 months we'll upgrade your phone, on us.'

What they mean by on us is they will pay whatever is left of your phone plan after they've used what you would have got on your trade in for their benefit.

'Just trade in your existing phone after 12 months on selected tariffs, and we'll pay off your remaining Device Plan.'

As above the consumer doesn't actually benefit from this, they trade in and what they would have got is then used by o2 to pay off their remaining balance and o2 just top it up supposedly.

#pointless
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
They should call this an early trade in plan and clearly state what it is they are offering as to me this is mis-selling of an offer as they don't define what they actually mean and make it out to be of benefit to the consumer when in actual fact it's not.
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
So o2 are paying an extra £85 to clear your refresh device agreement . That is on us but I did it last year device was more than recycle price so I got a discount on my device upfront fee.
Or let it run pay full device fee off in another 12 months then handset is yours to sell and do what you like or take the offer and get a new handset every 12 months swings and roundabouts as the say.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I completely agree. It was designed initially to allow customers to get the latest flagship phone, be it iPhone or new Samsung. Yes it comes with a cost to the customer with a limited choice of tariffs and in some cases an upfront cost.

Bear in mind also that that with iPhones in particular you could be waiting sometimes months to upgrade due to stock level issues so getting the phone on release date is very difficult and so you remain on your present deal making more payments to both phone and airtime. 

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may get a new phone but the consumer doesn't actually benefit. Unless of course your trade in value is worth more than your outstanding phone plan. But then o2 aren't actually paying anything... so it's not on them...
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

haha i did exactley the same thing with my iphone 7 and was on exact same tarrif!!! i have 30gb of data and the iphone 7+ 128gb and no exsisting customer deals at all!!! not worth it at all!! 

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another thing worth mentioning is the T&C's...

'Where any upfront payment is required as part of the upgrade then this will be payable by participants as per the terms and conditions applicable to such upgrade.'

Again, this too means the consumer has to pay yet more on top and as such is not a 'Free Upgrade on us' as if it were free o2 would not charge any handset prices when the 'participant' chooses to upgrade early.
Message 8 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie Agreed in part as I said in the mega thread for iPhone launch did mine no reservation On the 28th in store 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 9