cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using phones abroad.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just contacted o2 querying my bill while abroad.I was given some advice which i was not aware of, hope this might also help others. (or I might be the only person not aware of this info!!!).

When abroad to prevent incurring charges if you are only using the free wifi, you can put your phone in airplane mode and still access the free wifi.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I think you may have been the only one but useful to share, thanks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122770 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Thanks for that . You can also turn mobile data off completely and just use Wifi....there are are many outlets abroad who have WiFi. Also turn voicemail off is another good idea...

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35746 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

And also turn off any calendared events that might result in an SMS being sent to you if travelling outside the EU - I have seen several 10's of pounds of charges on the mobile bill covering the time spent on US networks, a small amount for each text received. 

Unless roaming in the USA has changed in the last 3 or 4 years... 

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

And also turn off any calendared events that might result in an SMS being sent to you if travelling outside the EU - I have seen several 10's of pounds of charges on the mobile bill covering the time spent on US networks, a small amount for each text received. 

Unless roaming in the USA has changed in the last 3 or 4 years... 

Would be covered by O2 travel if enabled, but if not would be charged.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5