cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iPhone from giffgaff/O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son gave me his old iphone4 at christmas, the contract on it with O2 ended in 2012, his wife has been using it on Giffgaff and I need to get it unlocked to use on my 3 account, I requestd an unlock on the 28th December and was promised it would be done within 72 hours, I have been on live chat for over 5 hours during the last 5 days, being passed from one department to another and being asked the same questions over and over again. could someone please tell me how to get the phone unlocked, I have sent a complaint by email to O2 but it will take 7 days for them to respond, any help from this forum would be appreciated,  as my old sim will deactivate shortly and my new microsim will not fit in my old phone. thanks

Malc

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No worries.
Now that is done follow the unlock process here for PAYG - The details you enter should be the new details you have just set up (forget the fact that it was an old O2 phone previously) http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have filled in the online unlocking form again, using the ID I have set up on here. I know how to set it up on my phone from Itunes, so hopefully I will be able to use it soon

Message 22 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
All the best then.

Would you let us know how you get on please ?
Message 23 of 75

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I have filled in the online unlocking form again, using the ID I have set up on here. I know how to set it up on my phone from Itunes, so hopefully I will be able to use it soon

My pleasure mate.

Good luck slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm not sure who you have spoken to but all you had to do , or your son even, is fill in this form if he remembers his old number or if he cant CS 202 can help track down his account and make the request, all this free and in 72h....

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Message 25 of 75

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm not sure who you have spoken to but all you had to do , or your son even, is fill in this form if he remembers his old number or if he cant CS 202 can help track down his account and make the request, all this free and in 72h....

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

But we all know that would fail as there is no current account and unknown security details....

The phone would have long fallen off the system too.

We've seen it hundreds of times on here over the years 😞

The only way to guarantee the unlock is successful is to get the phone re-latched on to O2's system.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , Now I received an email as follows:

Thank you for your iPhone unlatching request for IMEI xxx.
The mobile number that you provided is yyy.

I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your iPhone at this time.
The reason given is:

Sorry, you have not passed our security checks with the information that
you have provided. Kindly check that you have provided the correct
information.

Thank you,

O2 Customer Service

As far as I know,  the only information I was unable to give was my most recent phone calls, As I haven't used the phone there are none. 

Does anyone know where I can escalate this to as I am losing patience with O2

Message 27 of 75

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That's what I was saying earlier about you having to make calls on the phone.
You really need a £20 top up so you can make some calls and still have £15 left over for the unlock.
You could try the route of calling CS and telling them the story but as the phone is no longer on O2's system you will likely get the same answer until you use it I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but I cannot fill in the form as it requests that you include the last most used numbers that you rang from the phone, my son cannot remember which numbers he used  most last month, never mind 2 years ago 

Message 29 of 75

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yeah, I know, see my post above - You need to make calls on the phone now with your new sim card in it.

Currently using:
Message 30 of 75