cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iPhone from giffgaff/O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son gave me his old iphone4 at christmas, the contract on it with O2 ended in 2012, his wife has been using it on Giffgaff and I need to get it unlocked to use on my 3 account, I requestd an unlock on the 28th December and was promised it would be done within 72 hours, I have been on live chat for over 5 hours during the last 5 days, being passed from one department to another and being asked the same questions over and over again. could someone please tell me how to get the phone unlocked, I have sent a complaint by email to O2 but it will take 7 days for them to respond, any help from this forum would be appreciated,  as my old sim will deactivate shortly and my new microsim will not fit in my old phone. thanks

Malc

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I join in wishing you all the best wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 71 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Success at last, as of 1700 on the 8th of January my iphone is unlocked. After speaking to Karen at customer services, on the 7th of January [ I have bought an extra £10 credit to make sure the balance is over £15] I used the iphone to call customer services, [the Iphone has a hearing aid device in it, to link to the telecoil on my hearing aids, making it far easier to hear on my mobile phone].

Karen read all my notes and told me that all the previous attempts to unlock, could never have gone through, as I had not been given the correct information on how it works, in my previous chats and contact with O2.

I had even had a response to my online complaint to O2, from someone from Capita.co.uk, who apparently look after complaints for O2, apologising and again giving me the wrong information about how to unlock the phone. I replied telling him this but did not receive a reply.

I am busy for the next couple of days but will post on here the correct procedure for unlocking an iphone.

I have added all the further recent details, to my dossier on O2 customer services and will continue with the complaints procedure, apparently if I don't get a satisfactory response with in 8 weeks I will be able to take it up with the arbitration service and then it will be passed to Ofcom

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

regards

Malc

Message 72 of 75

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Glad you got it sorted in the end wink

Normally the procedure is quite simple as long as the criteria is met.

Message 73 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome news and thanks for updating.

Hope all goes ok for you.
Message 74 of 75

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I would guess the fact that you had used the phone on O2 (and allowed time for the system to register this) was the key to it's success, eventually.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 75 of 75