cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iPhone from giffgaff/O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son gave me his old iphone4 at christmas, the contract on it with O2 ended in 2012, his wife has been using it on Giffgaff and I need to get it unlocked to use on my 3 account, I requestd an unlock on the 28th December and was promised it would be done within 72 hours, I have been on live chat for over 5 hours during the last 5 days, being passed from one department to another and being asked the same questions over and over again. could someone please tell me how to get the phone unlocked, I have sent a complaint by email to O2 but it will take 7 days for them to respond, any help from this forum would be appreciated,  as my old sim will deactivate shortly and my new microsim will not fit in my old phone. thanks

Malc

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93230 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If you take out a contract and you upgrade or canceled the account you can always ask for your old phone to be unlocked foc.It's part of the perks of having an O2 contract P  slight_smile

Good to know...

Message 11 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is good to know and said info bookmarked. 😄
Message 12 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for your response, my son can't get it unlocked as the contract was cancelled over two years ago, when he changed to Vodafone, he has no security details that O2 say they need, even for a defunct account. I have tried my wifes 3 sim in the iphone4 and it is still locked. I have been to the O2 shop today and told them what I wanted to do, they sold me a £15 O2 sim and put it in the phone and then requested online that the phone be unlocked byApple. They said it would take a week, so hopefully this will be done so that I can use it on my existing  3 account which only costs me £8 per month..

Message 13 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son's phone was on contract from 2010 until 2012 when it was ended and he moved his contract to Vodafone. Thanks for your help, will have to wait and see now.

Message 14 of 75

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
Ideally you should be making calls from this phone but that will use up the credit and hence you won't have enough to pay for the unlock, so I would make some calls to that number now to get the phone registered on the system.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently you can't get it unlocked at all, unless you have the security details that O2 request. even though the phone contract was cancelled over 2 years ago. thanks for your response. Malc

Message 16 of 75

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Apparently you can't get it unlocked at all, unless you have the security details that O2 request. even though the phone contract was cancelled over 2 years ago. thanks for your response. Malc

You set up the security details yourself.

The new PAYG sim you have just bought requires that you set up a "My O2" for it which will set your security details.

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

They didn't tell me that in the shop, they filled in the request online there and then with my 3 phone number and e-mail address for contact details. I had already registered myself with O2 to be able to post on this forum, before I posted my question and before I went to the shop. Does this mean I have to do something else at O2 before they will unlock it?

Message 18 of 75

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
You need to link your new PAYG number to your My O2 (use the bring in other products link) and make sure you maintain £15 credit on your account.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for telling me to register the new sim card with O2, I have done this now. regards

Malc

Message 20 of 75