cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really slow speeds

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Ever since i got my ipad 3 mini the 3g speed has been consistently crap. The lack of 3g coverage when i am near a city is really concerning. Everytime i look at my Nexus 6 on EE i either have 3g or 4g. A lot of the time the ipad has Edge which is what i would expect if i was using on iPhone 1 in 2007! When i do have 3g the speed is really dire as well.

Here is a speed test using my ipad with 3g signal 3 dots out of 5

Speed Test result from SpeedSmart for iOS

Download: 0.40 Mbps
Upload: 0.37 Mbps
Ping: 148 Ms
Test Date: 10/24/15 - 12:12 pm
Connection: Mobile
Server: Nottingham, UK

A image for sharing can be found here: http://result.veeapps.com/19563859

SpeedSmart for iOS provides you with real-world speed test results taken in real-world conditions no matter how fast or slow your connection using.

Get it now: http://goo.gl/K0cQ0

Here are the same tests using my nexus 6 with tethering turned on, to keep it a fair test i limited the connection to 3g on the nexus 6

Here are the results

Speed Test result from SpeedSmart for iOS

Download: 5.99 Mbps
Upload: 1.81 Mbps
Ping: 52 Ms
Test Date: 10/24/15 - 12:18 pm
Connection: WiFi
Server: Nottingham, UK

A image for sharing can be found here: http://result.veeapps.com/19564034

SpeedSmart for iOS provides you with real-world speed test results taken in real-world conditions no matter how fast or slow your connection

Get it now: http://goo.gl/K0cQ0

These are results i would expect for a mobile phone network.

Is there something wrong with my iPad? Or is the o2 network over subscribed and underfunded?

I have had this ipad too long now to return it over the cooldown period, but if there was a way i could get out of this contract right now i would. Most of the time i take my 3g ipad out of the house i just end up tethering it to my phone, as i want the webpages i am looking at to actually load in a decent amount of time.

For other people that have an ipad and an iphone please download this app and share your speeds, as i would like to know what other people are getting. It could just be my area Mansfield (Nottingham) that might just be really bad.

Richard

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Use the free o2 mynetwork app http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network to see what coverage and network type is available for your exact postcode. Also it will list any known issues

Post those results here.

I have had o2 ipad sim in the past and did not get slow speeds everywhere.

As o2 rollout 4g things are improving I am still 2g only in my area but when out and about get good speeds on 3g and 4g on my iphone and 4g wingle.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Use the free o2 mynetwork app http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network to see what coverage and network type is available for your exact postcode. Also it will list any known issues

Post those results here.

I have had o2 ipad sim in the past and did not get slow speeds everywhere.

As o2 rollout 4g things are improving I am still 2g only in my area but when out and about get good speeds on 3g and 4g on my iphone and 4g wingle.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2 3g is poor everywhere due to over capacity.
The 4g roll out will fix it but it's no consolation if your area hasn't got 4g yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not much help, but the speeds and experience you are having is the same as I had when I was with O2.

As MI5 has mentioned O2 3G is poor to been over capacity.

This isn’t acceptable in my opinion and as users we should have a data service that is usable, and that is the reason I left O2 and moved to another network as I was paying for a data service that wasn’t usable for even the simplest tasks of email.

Like yourself, I see good speeds and good 3G and 4G coverage on EE. And I have an iPhone, so I would put your speeds (on O2) down to the network and not the device.

Here's some screen shots from the results part of the Speedtest app on my iPhone.

This is on O2 3G and was done a few minutes before I done the next test with the EE sim.

IMG_0376.png

EE 3G:

IMG_0377.png

EE 4G:

IMG_0379.png

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2 grew so big (inc the MVNO's) and didn't invest enough, quickly enough - they only have themselves to blame.
I keep my o2 sim going because I still believe they have the best 2g coverage but for data you are better off with EE without a shadow of doubt.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
O2 grew so big (inc the MVNO's) and didn't invest enough, quickly enough - they only have themselves to blame.
I keep my o2 sim going because I still believe they have the best 2g coverage but for data you are better off with EE without a shadow of doubt.

I was in the Lake District a short while ago and this is a bad place for coverage on any network too be honest.

In the area we went. One of us were on O2, one on Three and myself on EE. The person on Three couldnt get a signal, but myself (on EE) and the other person who was on O2 both had the same signal strength (albeit GPRS) so I was impressed with the 2G coverage of EE in this area as the area had mountains on both sides and was in a valley. Too be honest, that was the first time I had seen EE flick on to anything other than 3G, 4G.

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Three is good where you get a signal but they do struggle for signal in many areas still......

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Three is good where you get a signal but they do struggle for signal in many areas still......

Yes. But from what I've heard, there pretty much a 3 or 4G network. They don't tend to have a 2G network to fall back on now. And 2G sometimes is better in difficult terrain.

Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, they lost EE as their 2g fallback when BT stepped in.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Yeah, they lost EE as their 2g fallback when BT stepped in.

Its a shame that, as Three are a decent network.

Message 10 of 15