cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 Data Problem E and 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a newbie to the iPhone 5, having took a contract out last week i have been pulling my hair out and before i return the phone back and potential end my agreement under the 14 day cooling off period i thought i would ask or share my problem here.

Now i can make calls etc no problem, ica n use wifi no problem, but i sturggle to use any data services at all and today has been the icing on the cake for me.

The phone displays 3G and for most of the time it seems slow but ok, but when the phone displays E which is does where i live, i get no data at all the data dial (spining dots) come on and goes around and around but nothing, normally with an error (Cannot connect to store etc)

So is this normal? 

Is it my local cell site?

Is it the phone that defective?

SIM Faulty? (Unlikely)

Any ideas? Going grey....and tried of trying to fix something that is supposed to "just work!"

I have checked all settings, reset , rebooted the phone etc and the same fault appears...

Any help is very much apprciated, i bought 2 of these for my wife and myself.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Replaced my handset and its now working a great deal better, but i still dont get any data when the E is displayed?

If your phone is only displaying E for data, you won't get much, if any coverage. This thread should explain it to you if you're not familiar with it:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/m-p/286204#M26411

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Wierd I presume your data connections have been fine for other phones?

What are your APN settings?

It shouldn't be normal but obviously many factors weigh in on service.

You can check your local cell service status here;
http://status.o2.co.uk/

The phone could be but generally you'd struggle to make calls and texts as well so kind of rules it out. (I think)

Sims fine don't worry:)

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forums:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, the APN settings are fine, my wifes phone seems to work ok, mine doesnt, i am going to have to take it back to phones4u today as our numbers are ported in the morning, the data part of my iphone is hit and miss at the very least.

Message 3 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Wish you'd of mentioned phones4u grin

There was another customer who's data wasn't working at all because phobes4u had forgotten to activate somthing on the account. It could well be the same case.

Unfortunatly it took 8 days to fix last time. Ill dig up the thread.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be greatful if you could as i intend to go back to the shop today if its open!

Message 5 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5-3G-Usage-Extremely-High/m-p/3671...

Here you go seems to describe similar issues your having. I was mistaken it didn't take 8 days sorry.

Edit: only took me half hour to find it. Search needs some improvement/I need to post less:D

Message 6 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As you are not seeing error messages I would say data has been provisioned as you would get a not subscribed  type error message

Checked the status page for local issues etc Http://status.o2.co.uk

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replaced my handset and its now working a great deal better, but i still dont get any data when the E is displayed?

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you in a 3G area, try turning mobile data on & off or 3g on & off, maybe turning the phone on & off might help

Message 9 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If your phone is only displaying E for data, you won't get much, if any coverage. This thread should explain it to you if you're not familiar with it:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/m-p/286204#M26411

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 13