cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 - 3G Usage Extremely High

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the iPhone 5 on Friday afternoon and got around to switching it on and setting it up just over 24 hours ago. I set up wifi straight away and have been using this since I set it up. It was only about 6 hours ago when I left the house that 3G wasn't working, even though it's all switched on on the phone.

I called o2 who said that something had not been activated by Phones4U (where I bought the phone). They said that it could take up to 5 working days for the 3G to start working but it's usually working within 24 hours. She said to keep resetting network settings every now and then to see if it was working but that I'd receive an email when it was activated.

Was just wondering from other users' experience, is this actually likely to take 24 hours or closer to the 5 working days as it would be somewhat of an inconvenience if that was the case?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

I can't imagine what they forgot to activate:/

What are your network settings?

And welcome to the forum:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't imagine it myself. I'm able to make calls and receive texts. It's just the 3G that's the issue. She said she'd put the note on my account and if it wasn't working by Friday (which would be really inconvenient) to get back in touch.

My 'Cellular Data', 'Enable 3G' and 'Data Roaming' are switched to 'On'. As for the Cellular Data Network, it tells me that it's connected to 'idata.o2.co.uk'

She did say that a number of callers who had been set up with Phones4U had been suffering similar problems. She also added (not sure if relevant) that there was a known issue since 6am with porting phone numbers from other networks. Although this doesn't affect me (I have a new number) she said that other issues were in a queue but SHOULD be corrected within 24 hours. Presumably she meant the porting issue was a priority. I didn't really understand the relevance.

Should I still have no 3G by tomorrow evening, I may make another call to o2 for an update. I will struggle through the week without having any internet access when on the go.

Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data roaming is for abroad so you don't really need that on. are you on an iPhone tariff or pay as you go

Message 4 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd be knocking in phones 4 U's door too !!
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd be knocking in phones 4 U's door too !!

More like kicking it inSmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whatever the issue was, it's been solved. When I woke up this morning, 3G was working fine. Will continue to use wifi when around the house though.

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me how much data I can expect to use for casual web browsing and social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) I'm unsure what's a normal amount. I previously had a Blackberry and used just over half of the 500MB per month. But I believe Blackberrys compress their data and iPhones use more. I'm on a 1GB per month plan and was wondering if that should be enough. From about 10-15 minutes of browsing on 3G today I've used 5.04MB. I don't really know if that's little or a lot.
Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

1gb should be fine if you are a light or moderate user then connect to wifi when possible & that saves some of your data allowance as wifi is free

Message 8 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unless you have the data bug.... http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5-iOS6-massive-data-usage/td-p/309...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh yes, completely forgot that, thought that had died down now?

Message 10 of 36