cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage on iOS 7 not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

1st message so please be kind, I couldn't find a thread similar to this topic...

I updated to iOS 7 last night, and now I don't have access to iMessage from my telephone number.  It works with my gmail & iCloud email addresses but not on my phone number.

Plus it hasn't activated yet.  I love my iPhone 5 and it is doing my head in to get it sorted.  I have tried all the work arounds on the web that I can find (reset settings, turn off & on wifi and airplane mode).  Plus I have rebooted the phone.  Strangely I get this or something similar sent to me by text message every time I try to activate it. 

ùéèΩy@@REG-RESP?v=3;r=7c062cb8;n=+447545062465;s=02523CACB1FFFFFFFF5DC73BE887207BC3812FBBD180CEB14C711010C3

The same thing is happening with my wife's iPhone 4 when updated to iOS 7.  I have called O2 couldn't get through as everyone is upgrading, therefore I contacted O2 via chat and they said it is a issue and will be resolved, when?

Does anyone what is going on or what to do?

Message 1 of 107
106 REPLIES 106

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. I'd not upgraded to iOS7 and on Friday 20 Sept evening my iMessage stopped working. Via email was fine, but not my phone number - in the setting screen the phone number was there greyed out, with no tick. I tried a few switching off and ons myself, and only succeeded in receiving odd text messages.

Spent an hour at the Genius Bar in Apple. No luck at all... although people are reporting that O2 are saying its Apple's fault, we got as far as the fact that a "silent" (can't be seen or heard) message is supposed to be sent from your device to Apple/your carrier, and then your carrier send a silent one back... except it arrives as a normal text message and therefore doesn't activate. 

I tried upgrading to iOS7 to see if that fixed it... I was given a carrier update from O2 in the process, but still have the same problem.

According to everything I've found online, its only affecting O2 (and giffgaff, who piggyback O2's network) - so it doesn't appear to be an Apple issue - at least not one a mere customer can solve.

O2 need to talk to Apple...

Message 41 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

People here are mentioning Tugo, which I have... but as this happend out of the blue without changing anything, I think it has to be related to Apple's servers and O2's interaction with them.

Message 42 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote DietCokeBloke//

The text that apple sends back that is supposed to activate it is supposed to be a silent sms (it wont come up on your messages) is coming through as a regular text (which the phone doesn't process) I wondered what is unique to o2 over vodafone and 3 which got me thinking about the servers o2 use for TuGo.

I ended up turning iMessage and FaceTime off and totally deleting my tugo account (not signing out). I then removed the app from my phone and rebooted the phone. Once the phone was back up I enabled iMessage and FaceTime without an issue. 

It's obviously TuGo that's not handling the silent text properly. If anyone has a support case open with o2 you might want to ask them to focus on that.

I'm just off to reinstall TuGo.

This worked for me too, thanks! Good reasoning!

Did it stay working once you reinstalled tu-go?

Message 43 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's still working after reinstalling and setting up a new TuGo account, I'm guessing the issue is it must be the activation silent sms that's the problem.

I wonder for those who haven't got TuGo and are having the issue if they're using some sort of different sms centre to me but I can't see a way of changing this these days on phones - I wonder if they're using another sms replacement type app that could be causing the issue.

Message 44 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

RobHa wrote:

"People here are mentioning Tugo, which I have... but as this happend out of the blue without changing anything, I think it has to be related to Apple's servers and O2's interaction with them."

Except that you have changed something, you've installed iOS7. As far as I can tell the install process for iOS saves your configuration data, reloads the phone with the new iOS and then restores your last configuration, saved data and apps to it. Essentially to the Apple servers the phone is a new device and needs to reregister which it does once you put your iCloud ID in. as pretty soon after that I got the first gobldegook text. It's worth a shot if you do use it and it's pretty easy to set TuGo back up once the silent SMS have come through and you're activated.

Message 45 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just followed your steps and it fixed the problem for me too! Prior to deleting my tugo account I was getting the silent texts showing on my phone and iMessage could only connect via my Apple ID. All seems well now I've deleted my TuGo account.
Message 46 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ DietCoke Bloke

Well you certainly cracked it for me and 2 others in my household. Def Tu-Go server not set up to handle the activation txt in the background. Thanks.

Message 47 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm. I installed tugo to see if I'd used it at some point in the past. Apparently I have a suspended account but getting through to customer services to fix this currently impossible. 😞
Message 48 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Removing TuGo from my account worked for me too!!!
Message 49 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I be stupid and ask how you removed Tugo?
Message 50 of 107