Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor service from O2 repairs

Hughmungus
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Short version, my iphone 6 wouldnt charge and eventually became unusable. As it was now 14 month old it was out of support with Apple so I contacted O2 via online chat and explained the issue. They advised my not to try any form of repair and kindly arranged for it to be sent to their repair dept for inspection.

Thats when it all went pear shaped.

The repair dept had it for 3 days and sent me a nice email with photos showing me that the lightning socket on the phone had a 'foreign body' stuck inside stopping the connection between lead and phone. The photos showed some dark stuff inside the socket which I immediatley recognised as maybe fluff from being in pockets etc. Now rather than just clean the socket and test it they went to great pains to get me to stump up £212 for a new phone as in their word mine was now u/s.

This I refused and asked for the phone back which took them another 3 days to return.

When I got it back I decided to try some major and very complicated mechanical repair which required years of training. A cocktail stick and some cotton wool, and guess what the fluff was removed and the phone is now working.

Some will say why didnt I do this in the first place, but having been specifically warned by O2 not to try any repair as their skilled engineers would be the only ones able to do any work on the phone I left it to them.

My question to O2 via this community and other avenues is why were your skilled engineers unable to operate a cocktail stick type instrument and remove the foreign object, and more worryingly why try and force me to buy a replacement phone when my was perfectly ok apart from a bit of fluff.?

Mw thinks our friend Watchdog may find this incident interesting.

Yours, soon to be ex customer.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Hughmungus wrote:

Capture120216 [47290].JPGThis was the picture they sent me, and the repair their skilled engineers couldnt handle !

Obviously well knacked Who's there?

Message 11 of 22

MI5
  • 144513 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
Not an esp great picture, is it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Now we know where my Z5 with the blurry camera ended up....
Message 13 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Not an esp great picture, is it?

No but it does show that fluff quite clearly...Fools......LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 22

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Geez, that's well past it. Should have paid the £200 as I'm sure apple will create an update to brick your phone for having the gall to fix it yourself. That's classed as a non authorised repair grin
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't listen to him, he thinks it's a joke, well done for doing something yourself, hope you had a pineapple on a stick afterwards. Normally you should go straight to the manufacturer as o2 repairs don't have the greatest of reputation 

Message 16 of 22

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
@Anonymous that's an understatement. OPs handset was out of warranty anyway.
My post was in jest, and clearly the OP done well to fix the issue themselves.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 17 of 22

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It's laughable that some of us as customers are just as capable of fixing issues ourselves hindered by a 3rd-rate "engineering" company, who use a pick n mix approach to customer repair/support by assuming everyone is equally as clueless as each other.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 144513 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

by assuming everyone is equally as clueless as each other.

...... they are!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 20 of 22