cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using dual SIMs - data is still being used on O2 when mobile data set to use the other SIM only

colinc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a dual SIM iPhone with a O2 and a Greek SIMs.  Due to the 63 days in 4 month fair-usage policy I switch off data roaming and switch data to the Greek SIM only when in Greece.  I've checked my bills and I am still getting a few kB of data being billed each day to O2.   It seems the iphone is ignoring the instruction to only use the Greek SIM for data.

I've checked the forums and the problem with data leak with data roaming switch off is known.  The advice is to switch off mobile data altogether when abroad.   Then you can receive calls but not use data.   However that advice does not work with a dual SIM as it would disable my use of the Greek SIM data.   Why is the O2 network still recording roaming data when the iPhone is told to only use the other data service.   BTW, the setting to "auto switch" data services is switched off too.

I haven't yet received a text saying I am abusing the Europe-data "fair-usage" policy.   But I must be close to that threshold.

1. Are O2 aware of this problem?

2. Do they account for it when determining "fair-usage"?

3. Are O2 or Apple fixing this bug?

PS I posted this in general discussion - but this is a better home for it.  Sorry for dual post

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@colinc 

The only way o2 can be recording data is if the phone is sending that data via the Greek Network, do you have iMessage or other Messaging App linked to your o2 number at all, as these services will try and send data linked to that sim card.

It isn't just data that counts for the 63 day rule, its voice and texts as well so even if Data is off your days are still being counted. 

o2 have no say in IOS development, and if other users have reported the bug to Apple then it will be fixed at some point in the development cycle. 

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 7

colinc
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh  yes imessage and facetime are linked to my O2 number.  But if they are using data with that data service switched off then that is a bug.   I think would be a bug with only data roaming off too - but at least then you can switch of all mobile data.   In the dual sim use case with one data service switched off, to still use that service must be a bug.

Yes, using text or voice on O2 counts as roaming - but there are very few days I do that.   What I want is to be able to receive a call or text if there is one - that does not count as roaming - at least not as the fair usage policy is currently worded.     This is use of data being a problem - not text or calls.

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@colinc 

You will need to log the bug with Apple in that case, via apple.com or developer.apple.com 

You will still be able to receive a call or text, but you will be charged for receiving calls.  There is no way for these actions to not count as roaming as the roaming networks report back to o2, that your Sim Card has been used to roam and you have made a chargable action. 

This isnt a Fair Use Policy, it is the regulations as setup by the EU, and taken on board by the UK, and would apply to your Greek sim if used in the UK for extended periods. 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 4 of 7

colinc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1shI am happy to be counted as roaming if I send or receive calls or texts.   The problem is the days I don't do those things with data switched off.   They are leaking data and so counted as roaming.   I can do this on a single SIM phone - but not a dual SIM and still use the second data service.   A shame as that is the whole point of a dual SIM phone.  O2 need to be aware of this when enforcing fair-usage - at least until Apple fix the bug.

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@colinc 

If your o2 sim connects to a roaming network, even if you make no phone calls or receive any  text messages it still counts as roaming as per the EU / UK regulations... It is not a  Fair Use Policy, its basically the law that has been adopted by the UK Networks..  

This has nothing to  with Data, but roaming in general, and would apply on a phone that has no data functionality

You could try replacing the o2 APN with a fake piece of text.

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 6 of 7

colinc
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With respect read https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse  It is called "fair use" there.  Also EU rules no longer apply so it is O2 that chooses to apply these rules (and good that they still allow roaming!!)

I hit this policy when I only had one SIM.  O2 support explained to be that they count the days with data to run the above policy.  So you count the days on your bill to see when you hit the 63.  Calls or texts may count too.   But currently it is counting data even with data switched off on O2.

The irony is I got dual SIM to play the game right as I travel frequent between the two countries.  I thought that only using data in my current country would fit the "fair usage" policy perfectly.  But I am still being clobbered.

I'll try the apn edit option - but a bit clumsy if you travel a lot.

Message 7 of 7