cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Tugo abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone, first time poster here, I wonder if you could help me. I'm currently in the USA, and use Tugo to phone the UK, I have wi-fi here, and have data roaming switched off, but received a very large monthly bill. I thought Tugo meant I called the UK as if l was still there, ie, using my standard minutes? My bill showed 'international charges' as the big extra. I don't understand this bill, I keep roaming switched off, only use wi-fi for browsing the web, Tugo is the only thing I can think of that is causing this charge? I don't phone the UK a lot, just 3/4 calls, twice a week, about 10 mins a call? Any ideas as to why l have this ma-hooosive bill?
Thanks for any help you can give me

John
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You need to switch off mobile data or put the phone into airplane mode. Your phone will pick up the strongest signal if wifi is less than network signal.

Within the app settings, also make sure calls over 3g/4g data network is set to off.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You need to switch off mobile data or put the phone into airplane mode. Your phone will pick up the strongest signal if wifi is less than network signal.

Within the app settings, also make sure calls over 3g/4g data network is set to off.

Message 2 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous I believe @adamtemp64 used TuGo on an iPhone while in the US recently, so maybe he will be able to clarify things for you. I think that just switching off data roaming isn't enough. You have to switch off mobile data completely and only use TuGo over WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As I have been tagged I did get no strange charges in New York and st marteen via Tugo but did have airplane mode enabled and wifi switched on.

Another cause could be the wifi assist bug etc .

On your bill what are the charges described as ?

Edit

I you still had the phone on ( not in airplane mode) and out of wifi incoming calls would be charged at international rate 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have mobile data switched off, and data roaming is off, I have the 3G/4G part of Tugo also set to off, l don't understand my large bill (said the tucon)
Message 5 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous See my edit above

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello adamtemp64 the largest part of my bill was 'international charges' everything else (data usage, etc) was normal
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, this is only for outgoing calls, I have no incoming calls.
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could it be the airplane mode? I didn't have that enabled, sadly, the only way I'll know if that is the solution is next months bill!
Message 9 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous In that case then your calls went over the mobile network and not Tugo the only way to prevent this in future is to enable airplane mode then enable wifi.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 18