cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data with Tethering on Android killed when swapped to iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am writing this to let anyone else considering what I have done to think again before going any further with their phone choice.  

I have been a long-term monthly customer with O2 and have had unlimited data plus tethering on my Android phone for years.  

I have just purchased a sim-free iphone and asked for a nano SIM from O2.  Having enabled the iphone on the same contract as before I now fine that the tethering feature (portable Hotspot) is blocked by O2 just because it is an iphone.  

The data facility still works but interestingly when I called support and the APN values were changed to a "non iPhone tariff" value, the portable Hotspot feature immediately started working......for a few seconds!

Since then no matter how many times I have tried "chatting online" with various CS reps the story is tha same"

"That is an old tariff and tethering is not allowed"   

What possible logic is there in that argument when moments ago it was perfectly "allowed" when using my S3  ???????

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed I do want to stay on and in fact I have not been using large amounts of data - I just want to be sure I don't suddenly run out when I occasionally tether my laptop at work  whilst waiting for wireless credentials (don't ask, I need to connect to many temporary accounts) and when I listen to radio.  I have spotted that the 4GB limit is the new "unlimited" 🙂

Message 21 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK all, I need to log off just now - I do appreciate all your suggestions.  Will report back tomorrow.

Message 22 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149971 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
Good luck slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good Afternoon @Anonymous

Did you get any further forward with the issue ?
Message 24 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I got nowhere with trying to solve the "mystery" as to how my phone was momentarily able to provide a "personal hotspot".  

Apparently the solution available (using non idata. APN) was not a guaranteed solution anyway.

So, to cut a long story short, needing a solution for next Monday as I return to work, I accepted a 3Gb package that - at least - means is more than 1GB I have used so far.  

Life goes on - it's how you live it 🙂

Message 25 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Disappointing.

I'm lost on how not having the correct iPhone Apn settings and data chosen on your account shouldn't help. 😔
Message 26 of 30

MI5
  • 149971 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
I assume this to be another of o2's tactics to get people off legacy tariffs?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 27 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, those mobile. settings did help in that the "unlimited" data was available for the phone internet usage but tethering was - IMHO - actively blocked. In addition there was the statement by the CS that even if tethering did work it was not "supported".  My need for tethering to work by next Monday and the slight discount being offered for a 3GB tariff, on the basis that I commit to a 12 month contract (SIM free) were the core reasons for my decision.

However, as a techie, if it wasn't for my belief that life is too short I would probably be "needing therapy" as to the precise reason why I could not carry on as before - having simply inserted the SIM into an iOS device instead of an Android one.

Message 28 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.

I hope 3Gb is enough to cover tethering and normal Internet usage, as we all know tethering is data hungry at times.
Message 29 of 30

MI5
  • 149971 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
As long as you are comfortable with the offer......
Message 30 of 30