cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unblocking a phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone help me get an iPhone unblocked?

I made an insurance claim with O2 in July 2016 and was sent a replacement iPhone 6+ never had any issues using the phone etc. Have just upgraded to the iphoneX and thought I’d use O2’s recycle service for my 6+

I had an email from O2 Recycle saying they can’t offer me any money for my phone because it’s been blocked and to contact CheckMEND for details

Contacted them and they told me the device was blocked by Vodafone Italy in February 2016 some 5 or so months BEFORE I received the phone from O2? I was advised to get in contact with Vodafone to get the block/red flag lifted. I contacted Vodafone and they have said the phone had never belonged to them and that in general the phone isn’t on any blacklist?

I’ve gone back to CheckMEND and O2 Recycle and all that’s happening is I’m getting my phone sent back to me, which I won’t be able to sell
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I'm just wondering if CEX make the same check or he could sell it privately to someone living here. It would save a lot of hassle. 

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it appears to be working as they have been using it but as to CEX. They would get the cash but I don’t know how deeply they check phones whether they just test they turn on & charge etc?

Message 12 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Is the phone still working.? 

Well it was working on O2 when they sent it to @Anonymous as a replacement phone...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 14

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm just wondering if CEX make the same check or he could sell it privately to someone living here. It would save a lot of hassle. 

It would only fall over if it was tried to be used in Italy so there's a 90% chance it wouldn't be discovered.

There is talk of making IMEI blocking an International thing as most stolen phones get shipped abroad to be sold where they will still work.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 14