cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade-in iPhone 5 locked to O2 or unlocking the device

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have my iPhone 5 locked to O2, but I am moving to another country in a while. I would like to still be able to use iPhone after I move to another country. That's why I would love to know if there is any good solution to my problem.

Since O2 is not doing official unlocking yet, I am thinking of trading my iPhone 5 locked to O2 for a similar device but unlocked. Does anyone know a decent place/website to do that swap? I would even pay extra for that. I dont think anyone can unlock O2 at the time. Also I am not sure if that's legal to ask about trades on this forum. Many appologies if it's not allowed.

Thanks for any responses.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet is to try and sell your current phone and purchase a new / secondhand unlocked one.

Not sure of your location but I might be interested and also have a unlocked phone available if needed.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

No they still don't unlock the iPhone 5 and the most you would get from O2 Recycle is £260, so I would sell it maybe on Ebay.

http://www.o2recycle.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

New releases of iphones have been historically unlocked around 6 months after general release so I would expect around March/April before the 5 is unlocked officially by O2. Not sure how this ties in with your travel plans?

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are high street shops that buy used handsets from owners.

They in turn sell unlocked handsets or you could use the raised funds to buy directly off Apple but they are not cheap.

I paid £529.00.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am travelling in just two weeks so it seems like I won't be able to use my locked iPhone for a few months at least. 6 months is way too much unfortunately.

Guess I would have to sell my phone on eBay now.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it safe to swap a locked iPhone for unlocked iPhone at highstreet shops?

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it safe to swap a locked iPhone for unlocked iPhone at highstreet shops?

Ive used a particular one a number of occasions.

Basically by providing certain forms of ID you become a member to sell them your locked iphone.

They take it for approx 1 hour to check its working ok and not blacklisted.

They then offer you a price to what condition it is in.

Either you can accept a cash price or a slightly higher trade in price.

Therefore any phone bought off them comes with their own 12 month warranty attached.

The only snag here is that it would not be a straight swap.

An unlocked phone brings a higher price than a locked one and the price they offer wont be full retail price,

ie a 16gb iphone 5 on 02 in mint condition would bring £356 trade in or £320 cash.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet is to try and sell your current phone and purchase a new / secondhand unlocked one.

Not sure of your location but I might be interested and also have a unlocked phone available if needed.

Regards

Message 8 of 8