cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really confused!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

Sorry but I'm confused and would appreciate some help pleease!

I upgraded to the i phone today - before this I had Nokia N95, so had to change my tarrif and got a new sim card.....When I got home I put the new sim in the i phone and activated it through i tunes BUT..... I phoned up customer services after doing this to make sure I will not be charged for things (this is what the assistant in the store said to do) and she told me that my new tarrif will come into action 24 hours later.....

So will I have incurred any extra costs in activating my phone do you think?

And is there more than one path to connect to the internet - I just want to make sure that when I go on the internet (wvia wireless) that don't have a huge bill next month - is 3G another way of connecting rather than via wi fi?

The man in the store was so un helpful and I don't know anything about this kind of stuff

Thanks for reading grin
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello em82,

WiFi (wireless) connection has nothing to do with O2, it is completely independent of them. If you connect via WiFi, you won't be charged anything from O2, as you are connecting to a WiFi router at your house or a friend's house or at a public hotspot (Starbucks, etc), you are not connecting to O2's network.

3G connection is O2's data connection, so when you connect via 3G you are using O2's network (and of course you can connect from wherever you are - as opposed to WiFi where you need to be near a wireless router or hotspot). Therefore, I would follow their advice about waiting 24 hours before connecting over 3G, but you can connect via WiFi anytime.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply DonDino2!

So if I connect with 3G (after the 24 hours) is this what is included unlimited web access?

So I can go on the internet when I'm not in a wireless hot spot and NOT be charged extra?

This is probably sounding really stupid but I'm new to all this and totally :mansurprised: with technology, but I will get use to it I'm sure!

PLUS I have a little 3G sign at the top of the screen, next to the signal - why is it there?!

Sorry to be so silly!

And thanks again!
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply DonDino2!
So if I connect with 3G (after the 24 hours) is this what is included unlimited web access?
So I can go on the internet when I'm not in a wireless hot spot and NOT be charged extra?
This is probably sounding really stupid but I'm new to all this and totally :mansurprised: with technology, but I will get use to it I'm sure!
PLUS I have a little 3G sign at the top of the screen, next to the signal - why is it there?!
Sorry to be so silly!
And thanks again!

You're not being silly, here are the answers.

1. As soon as your iPhone is activated you can surf 3g without being charged.

2. Yes and you won't be charged extra.

3. The 3g symbol is there when you are in a 3g reception area.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
musicmadmac, thank you so much

I think I understand now! grin
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK just 2 more questions!

How do you know for sure that the 24 hurs are up and you won't be charged for internet...

And how do you delete a text message.....I have 'cleared' the conversation but it still shows up as a message in the inbox?

grin
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't just assume that it'll have been activated after 24 hours. Give O2 another call and check with them.

Just swipe left to right across the entry in the Inbox.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also you can check your account with O2 online on their website. If you click on My Account & Services, it will tell you which services are activated on your account, which bolt-ons etc, so if you see Web Bolt-On there, you're good to go.

This is the case for regular tariffs, if it's any different for iPhone tariffs please someone correct me slight_smile
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks charlie_cc and DonDino2

I phoned O2 earlier and they said my new sim is activated....but I've just looked on my account on line and it is still showing as my old tariff :mansurprised:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd go with what they told you over the phone. Even if they do charge you you'll be able to claim it back.
Message 10 of 11