Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public wifi problems

Bez89
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm currently on my second iPhone 6, and everything seemed fine, but I've recently noticed this problem. Whenever I connect to public wifi in a coffee shop, bar, restaurant, or any other public network. I have the wifi symbol, and the network name is ticked in settings. However when I try and go online, at the top of whatever site I go on, there's a grey bar at the top saying network error. So if say I go on Facebook, the page won't refresh, and it will just have this message at the top. Like it's not actually connected, my missus has no problems connecting with her phone, and mine is ok when I turn wifi off, and turn 4g on. It's also fine when I connect to friends and family's wifi. The main culprits seem to be the cloud, and O2 wifi, but have experienced it on a few now. It's really baffled me, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Cheers bandofbrothers, will check that out.
Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bez89 wrote:
Cheers bandofbrothers, will check that out.

No worries. 

Message 12 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Not as far as I'm aware of MI5, will look into it a bit more. Going to check out the links that bandofbrothers put up. Thanks again to you both for your help.
Message 13 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

No worries - I'd check the settings on both phones side by side to see if you can find any differences.....?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 19

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think this is an O2 problem rather than a phone fault. Do a search and you will find a possible solution from people who have experienced the same problem and there is a solution.....

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I believe jonsie is referring to this fix which may apply if you have previously registered with a different device?
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Wifi-At-London-Underground-Not-able-to-conne...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, can be a bit fiddly but not too bad on the Note 4 with 2 windows open in multi-view wink

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I just confirm what mi5 said.

When you connect to a hotspot. Are you logging into said WiFi through the browser first before heading on into Facebook etc.

This is screaming to me that you've connected to the WiFi but not logged into it.

Just want to check that's all
Message 19 of 19