Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Pop up message on iphone??

[ Edited ]

Been an iphone user now for almost 4 years and never experienced this?

Whilst using the safari browser which took me to the correct page, it then quickly opened a page that was of naked women! I quickly clicked off, and then had a pop up saying I had won an iphone 5 (with the location I live) ...one of those " you are a lucky winner etc etc, click ok"

I obviously did not click, shut down safari and cleared cache, history etc. I haveop ups as on.

I am using a 4s with the new updated ios6 and it was over my wifi

First time it has occurred. Why is this and is there anything I can do? Using O2 broadband too 

Anonymous

Re: Pop up message on iphone??

Are you sure it was a bonafide link and not one masquerading as the link you wanted?

I've never come across this in any of my iPhones.
Level 44: Clearly Talented

I've recently been getting it. I believe some sites especially mobile aimed ones ads have transfered into the pop up world. I am yet to find a fix for this but I'll have another look for you.

Only advise I can give is not visiting that sites mobile version anymore
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told Smiley Wink
Anonymous

It was the search engine twinitor for searching things on twitter.
Yes I will stay well away! I was worried my phone was compromised or similar?

I doubt it my friend. Unless your installing apps via cydia or clicking links in unknown txts then I'm sure your fineSmiley Happy

Screen shot it next time it happens.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told Smiley Wink
Anonymous

I'm not sure how effective it would be for this but there's a new feature of iOS 6 called 'Limited Ad Tracking'.  It defaults to be turned off but activating it will prevent advertisers from gathering personal information and throwing 'profiled' adverts at you as you surf.

Even if it doesn't solve this particular issue, it's certainly something I've switched on.

To activate: Settings>General>About (scroll all the way down to)>Advertising>Limited Ad Tracking

Anonymous

No I'm not doing any of that and yes I'll screen shot next time, unfortunately the first page I was taken too,will not be allowed to be uploaded to here.

Thank you for your help
Anonymous

CJB, thanks too, I've activated that as well now

Haha o yes of course sorry neglected that fact. CJB has a good point it could help. Can't do any harmSmiley Happy

Of you want to search twitter use google just prefix searches with "twitter"
Anonymous

So do you think that website is the culprit?