cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and IMEI block for iPhone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I'm posting here for a friend, who I think is a bit of an idiot, but NVM.

He has an iPhone 5 which he purchased from O2 13 months ago. still has 11 months left on this contract. 

He is moving away to Australia indefinitely and is thinking of just cancelling his direct debits and taking the phone with him. He also recently had to get his iPhone replaced (direct by Apple) due to a fault with his original phone. 

The original phone was carrier unlocked, and the new phone is carrier unlocked. 

Now, moral and credit issue aside for him, what would actually happen?

Would O2 block the IMEI for non-payment? And if so, would the new iPhone's IMEI be blocked, as it wasn't the original phone supplied by o2? And finally would an IMEI block affect carriers in Australia? 

I'm hoping he just pays off the contract like a good human being would, but would appreciate the answers.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I don't believe any cross borders blocking exists between UK and Australia, so the phone won't be effected, however, your friends credit score would take a hit as O2 would apply a default to his account so credit would be an issue for them in the UK, should they return here.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Has he reported to O2 that he had his phone replaced by Apple and updated them with the new IMEI?

Message 2 of 19

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I don't believe any cross borders blocking exists between UK and Australia, so the phone won't be effected, however, your friends credit score would take a hit as O2 would apply a default to his account so credit would be an issue for them in the UK, should they return here.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

That is almost imposiable to answer.

But if they come back to the uk the credit rating would be very bad and may still be chased on return.

Apple update the imei associated and share that with o2 from memory. But o2 do not sell unlocked iphones unless you Friend had it unlocked it will still be locked to o2.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5

As mentioned by the OP

His friend has had his phone replaced

Obviously Apple has the phone bought from O2 now

Can they re-sell it etc if fixed by them?

If so, and someone will end up with that phone, since the OP might not pay and just leave the UK, would that mean that O2 would block the phone and the new user wouldn't be able to use it?

Does that make sense?

Message 5 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@adriannadavey

Apple take the iphone and refurb it and in the process assign a new s/n and imei.

And as I said apple update the database for warranty etc with replacements imei I have never had to report this to o2 or o2 insure and it made no differance for unlocking them as the o2 database had been updated.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144159 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If the phone is used on O2 the IMEI will automatically update on the O2 systems (Check in "My O2" and you will see the IMEI of your phone number).
So, O2 know what IMEI is on the phone currently in use, but they can't block it in Australia - Only in UK & Europe.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

He's still better off paying his contract off before he leaves.

Message 8 of 19

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I am sorry to be blunt but it will bite him in the ass!

If he goes to Australia, it's like running away from O2 and he may think that it will blow over and disappear but it won't.

O2 will keep pestering for the money back.  Cancelling the direct debits will not help as they could still force the payment to be made and therefore the bank account may go overdrawn.  Not paying the remaining months instalments of the contract means that he is breaking the contract and he could get in to trouble as it may incur interest and other penalty charges.  As well as this, there is the issue with the credit rating which will be very much affected (which the other members have mentioned).

If the sim is not used for 6 months it will be blocked by O2 anyway and the number could be given to someone else.

The best advice I can give is to contact O2 and explain the situation to them and try to settle it before he goes to Australia.

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies guys, have advised him to contact them and pay it off.

I know for sure he is definitely not returning, but even so, just in case, its good to leave with no nasty creditors chasing you eh!

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 19