Anyone else having a problem with the My O2 app not reporting correct data usage?
Checking my current stats via o2.co.uk reports what I would expect to see.
It resets tomorrow, so it may just be a glitch, but it's unreliable at present.
Ah, now I've discovered that o2.co.uk is reporting different figures in two separate places.
This is what I see under My Device>Allowances:
Which agrees with the App. So, I can't blame the App.
The image in my first post, that reported use of 212MB, was from service.co.uk under recent charges as per midnight Monday.
If it doesn't resolve itself upon issue of my bill tomorrow, I guess a phone call might be required.
I reset it on the 26th Sept. My billing date is the 11th of the month. Since the 26th Sept, I've used 233MB which is about right - the 212MB that I believe I've used during this billing period, plus 21MB that I will have used between 26/9 and 10/10.
Interestingly, my phone says I've used 80KB roaming, but I've not left the country...