cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad Mini nano sim - getting one

Anonymous
Not applicable

For reference, for anyone currently tring to pay O2 some money in exchange for data via an iPad Mini.

I found it to be impossible!

Any thought, help or suggestions are welcome.

Transcript of recent chat here:

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.

You're through to Niraj.

Niraj: Hi I'm Niraj. How can I help?

Justin: Hi there, I called o2 yesterday to get a nano sim replacement for my ipad mini (I previously had a pay/go micro sim for my ipad. I was told to go into a store to get one. I was given today a new nano sim and I've put it into the ipad mini - It says I need to register it and to quote the id: ****. can you help?

Niraj: Are you on a Pay Monthly or Pay and Go tariff?

Justin: I *was* on a mobile broadband pay/go tarif. This is now cancelled. I have a new nano sim and would like to register it for pay/go mobile broadband (data only).

Niraj: Please stay connected while I transfer your chat to my support team.

We’re putting you through to the right person, won’t be long.

You're through to 'O2 : Visha'

Visha: Hi I'm O2 : Visha. How can I help?

Justin: Hi there, I called o2 yesterday to get a nano sim replacement for my ipad mini (I previously had a pay/go micro sim for my ipad. I was told to go into a store to get one. I was given today a new nano sim and I've put it into the ipad mini - It says I need to register it and to quote the id: ******. can you help?

Justin: I *was* on a mobile broadband pay/go tarif (number: *****). This is now cancelled. I have a new nano sim and would like to register it for pay/go mobile broadband (data only).

Visha: I'll check this for you. Please allow me a moment.

Justin: The ID is: id: *******

Justin: thank you

Visha: You're welcome.

Visha: Can you please help me with the email so I can send you the steps to register it?

Justin: my email address is ****

Visha: Thanks.

Visha: I've sent the email to you. You'll receive it shortly and follow the steps.

Justin: I've followed these steps 😞 and it says I need to call O2 to register the nano sim

Visha: Okay.

Visha: Its a blank Pay Monthly SIM card with no number on it.

Visha: Do you want to purchase a contract?

Justin: a pay/go contact

Visha: This is wrong SIM card you got. Please visit the O2 shop and ask for the issues and get the nano SIM card for iPad.

Justin: I did that! they gave me this card and asked me to call or speak to you!

Justin: My nearest o2 shop is 30 miles away!

Justin: I cant go back!

Justin: Please help?

Justin: They told me they only have these cards in the shop. and that customer service person would help me

Visha: I'm sorry for the trouble and wrong information provided but you need to visit O2 shop for this and get right SIM card for iPad.

Justin: So I wasted a £30 journey into a shop, was given the wrong information?

Justin: And you cannot help?

Visha: I'm sorry for the trouble but right now there is no SIM card available for iPad mini.

Justin: Can you send me the correct card? I am only trygin to get a pay monthly contract with o2. I dont want to use another carrier service unless I have to. But so far this is bad customer service and I have done all the work. No one is helping and everyone says it's someone else who has to help!

Justin: Ok.

Visha: Please understand that O2 has not come up with any mini sim card and plan for iPad mini. You have purchased iPad mini from Apple and not from O2. As O2 will come up with minim sim card and package for iPad mini, it will be updated on the website.

O2 has ended this chat session.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

If you just need data only and want to use the O2 network why don't you try GiffGaff?

http://nanosim.giffgaffapps.com/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to this, I've just had a 45 minute call to 02 and Aaisha tells me they "don't support ipad mini's". I'm writing this just to save anyone else the issues that I've had so far which are:

30 min call to ask for an ipad nano card, told to go to store. Travel to store, given an nano sim for business and pay monthly, told no other nano cards available but if I call o2 they can register the card as a pay/go broadband card. Travel home and call o2, 45 minutes later told no, can't help and no support for ipad mini. No further help or support or advice, just that they don't support it. Previous o2 services team have said "no problem just go into a store" but obviously they are wrong.

I know, if I wait a week, they will start distributing the cards. Obviously. But my issue is that either the poor customer team are not given proper info regarding advising potential customers to wait or go elsewhere, OR it's even worse and customer service staff are just misleading customers into going round in a loop at their own expense for no other reason than not just walking into a rival store to pick up the correct card (and at a cheaper price currently also!).

Hope this helps.

Please post YOUR experience, and any way you find to actually get hold of a data card and pay O2.

Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23138 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

If you just need data only and want to use the O2 network why don't you try GiffGaff?

http://nanosim.giffgaffapps.com/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini#data_plans

Apples website is showing O2 as supporting the iPad mini.

I'm rather confused how hard it can be....

Out of interest is it possible to perform a sim swap with these? Eg porting your old account to your new nano sim.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/ipad-tariff-data-plans says ipad mini tariffs comming soon

Just keep an eye on that page and when available the nano sims will be available to order there

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's interesting, and good to know, thank you slight_smile
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you are right @liquid. I don't think it's hard at all TBH, and given enough time to prepare etc...

I thought about trying sim swap, but I'd already sold my iPad2 before I got my mini, so I now have no device to receive the sim-swap text code to see if it works. Certainly in my calls and chat conversation, I was not told this was a possible route to success and no one mentioned sim-swapping. HTH
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @adamtemp64. Yes I can see this page and the message. But as @liquid points out, on Apple's website, it is saying the mini is ALREADY supported. And in my first few communications with O2 no one said it wasn't already supported and a nano available. I think this is my real beef: The same old same old treatment from corp to customer, where they tell a lot of missleading information rather than the truth up-front. If I had a £1 for every company that did this... There's a line in the sand with companies that have a non transparent business approach with customers and a 5 year life-span in these austere times. Why have corps like O2 got their head in that sand, and leaving their CS staff to deal with the issues without proper intel? The customer ends up frustrated and goes to the agile start-up for cheaper, better solutions. This is all fine except lots of people end up out of jobs or worried about the next one. WAKE UP O2.
Message 8 of 13

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Do you still have the sim from the old iPad?

I presume you could put it into a phone and try and do it that way:/
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@liquid, thanks, unfortunately I am a fool for upgrades and have an iphone5 so no micro sim pervading devices in the holeft any more.

Thanks to you and the other posters I have just ordered a GifGaf nano sim though, and also bought an O2 pay/go data only sim from eBay for 99p, and can reply with best solution if anyone requires.

But really this thread was more about passing on my info re the miss-communication of O2 re supporting ipad mini's and data only nano-sims.

What is always beautiful in this world is the power and support of communities and the individuals within who take the time to post help, thoughts and aknowledgement. Thank you.

Message 10 of 13