Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to move data plan to new apple watch

peacegold
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have had an apple watch linked to my O2 mobile tariff since 2020. I upgraded to a new watch on Monday  and during the process of transferring settings etc. to the new watch I selected the option to transfer my existing data plan. It didn't work, I got an error (82 I think?).

I called 202 and they were unhelpful and advised me to go to an O2 store for help; I did this, and the agent watched as I repeated the steps to set up the data plan and get the same result - tap here to buy a new plan. I asked them to just remove the old plan and I'd buy a new one but apparently this can't be done in an O2 Shop, I need to call 202. So, I went home and did this. The agent on the phone said need to go to a shop to cancel my data tariff and buy a new one.

I called 202 one more time and actually got someone helpful, who said my data pan could be transferred to my new watch but it may take a while to arrive; I would get an email link to set up data on new watch. It may take a while.... 24 hours later - nothing.

29 Nov I called 202 again -  got through to the Business Support who couldn't help - apparently O2 custimer service lines are down this morning.

I am at my wits end with O2's incompetence, and I'm paying for a data plan I can't use.

Anyone have any advice other than dump O2 and go elsewhere with both mobile & watch plans?

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Final update on this problem.

I got a call from someone at O2 on Friday 2nd Feb – 67 days after raising the issue.

The O2 Rep sounded knowledgable and seemed like he knew his stuff, although I’m not certain what he told me is 100% true. Hoewever, given the number of people with this problem, what he said could be legit.

He told me that because of changes Apple have made (either hardware or watch OS) it is no longer possible to transfer an O2 data plan to a new watch. It will just not be recognised by the new device - like it's already in use/paired with different device.

Basically, O2 have cancelled my old plan and I get to decide whether to buy a new one or not. I have been refunded for the time I was paying for a plan that I couldn’t use.

Before I ended the call I asked why O2 are still telling people how to transfer a data plan if it’s not going to work? He replied that he’s just a contractor picking up the backlog of fault tickets. This is one reason why I’m uncertain that the explanation he gave me is true.

O2 are an omnishambles.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148994 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@peacegold 

If you search the forum you will find hundreds of posts like yours.

My advice would be to cancel everything with O2 and go elsewhere as this isn't likely to be resolved anytime soon.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sad though eh? O2 used to be good, and both on the phone and in-store you used to get pretty good support.

O2's decline started when it became part of Telefonica and is even worse now it's owned by Virgin Media

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 148994 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

Can't argue with that @peacegold 👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 20

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9082 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@peacegold 

If you decide to go elsewhere, please note that O2 are not the only network having Apple Watch issues. A quick check of the community forums of the other networks will give you an indication of those networks with problems, which you might want to avoid. 

Message 5 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

If anyone's interested, I've made several calls to different teams in O2 and they now understand the problem but don't have a solution. I've been given an Issue Report number and told it should be resolved in 5-7 days. I honestly don't think they will fix it, but fingers crossed 🙂

Message 6 of 20

Oxonian
  • 9082 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@peacegold 

Good luck and please keep us updated on developments.

Message 7 of 20

MI5
  • 148994 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@peacegold wrote:

If anyone's interested, I've made several calls to different teams in O2 and they now understand the problem but don't have a solution. I've been given an Issue Report number and told it should be resolved in 5-7 days. I honestly don't think they will fix it, but fingers crossed 🙂

We're all interested to see how this is resolved @peacegold 

Message 8 of 20

OtootheIrony
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, was this ever resolved. Having the exact same issue and 202 customer service have been terrible so far. Must have spent about 5 hours on the phone to various call centres since I upgraded the watch (from a previous gen also with O2) on Monday. Has answers ranging from we need to send you a new SIM (??!!) to have you paired the watch with your phone! I am staggered at how little knowledge of how the apple watch works, let alone how to fix the issue, customer service seem to have these days. It's not like it's a new device on the market!!!

Combine this with complete horror show of upgrading my phone via Switch Up the week before last - couldn't be in store so had to wait for home delivery which then get lost by DHL but they didn't know what to do about it for 10 days! - and I'm inclined to just hand everything back to them and go elsewhere.

When exactly did their customer service get so bad?

Message 9 of 20

Oxonian
  • 9082 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@OtootheIrony 

Welcome to the O2 customer-to-customer forum.  

You need to tag @peacegold so that he might see and respond to your message.

I assume that you issue has not been resolved in the interim ? 

Message 10 of 20