cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6s dying with 30% battery remaining.

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Okie dokie, here goes... my iPhone 6s has started to randomly switch off, as if out of battery (the little animation appears to prompt you to plug in the charger) whilst still having between 30/40% battery remaining. Plugging the phone in restarts it, and it'll show the same 30 odd % of battery remaining as before it shut down

. It's a real PITA as I'm having to carry a power bank with me in case my phone switches off whilst out.

I've googled this, read up on the Apple forums and it seems to be an ongoing issue with some iPhones. After going through diagnostics with Apple chat, and them looking at the software results they've said it's got to be a firmware issue.

I also followed a trouble shooting fix from the Apple community for this issue. It consists of fully charging and fully discharging the battery a few times, in the hope that it fixes the problem. It didn't make a difference in my case.

I'm booked into the Apple genius bar on Tuesday, so I'll update this thread with the outcome. I thought it might be helpful for other ppl finding themselves with this issue to document the process.

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

New battery and a factory reset would be my guess.

Although they may just look at logs and replace the phone there and then.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 65

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Backup to iCloud before you go......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 12 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@MI5 I did that yesterday, and most of my important stuff is backed up automatically I think... I'm guessing it'll be a new battery too tbh. As long as I walk away with a working, glitch free phone I'll be happy!
Message 13 of 65

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@jonsie@MI5 so the Apple girl has done a full reset and looked at the logs. 

If it happens again after this, I make an appointment to switch the phone for, wait for it... A brand new one! I'm dubious about that tho, and would expect a recon. 

Anyhoo,  here's hoping that the reset sorts the issue. 

Btw, they  said  the battery is certainly not faulty.

If there's anymore issues I'll update this thread. 

Message 15 of 65

Cleoriff
  • 123226 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

That's great news @gindygoo Not sure it would be a brand new phone though? Good on you if it is....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 65

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Apple refurb and rotate their own phones so there's no reason to think it won't be new if that's what you were told. Your old one will go off to be refurb'd and go back into the system, so effectively they don't actually give anything away.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 65

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So the full reset has it cured the issue @gindygoo ?

I was supprised that they did not ask you to do this before the genius bar visit as part of the fault finding process. May have saved you the visit and the inconvinence of the phone not working.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Hi again,

Apologies, I've been really busy.

Ok the normal reset and restore didn't work. So I've done a reset plugged into iTunes this afternoon while on the phone to an Apple tech guy.

Just waiting on the battery hitting 30/40% to see if it dies again. If it doesn't I ring up to get an appointment, and hopefully a replacement. Tbqh I just want a working phone, so I'm hoping this last "deep reset" has done the trick and gotten rid of whatever was corrupted.

I'll deffo update this thread once I've given the phone a few charge/discharge cycles to see if I've got a fully functioning iPhone again.

Message 19 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Right then, booked into Apple first thing I the morning as the switch off is persisting throughout all of the resets.. 😠

Wish me luck please guys!
Message 20 of 65