cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6s dying with 30% battery remaining.

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Okie dokie, here goes... my iPhone 6s has started to randomly switch off, as if out of battery (the little animation appears to prompt you to plug in the charger) whilst still having between 30/40% battery remaining. Plugging the phone in restarts it, and it'll show the same 30 odd % of battery remaining as before it shut down

. It's a real PITA as I'm having to carry a power bank with me in case my phone switches off whilst out.

I've googled this, read up on the Apple forums and it seems to be an ongoing issue with some iPhones. After going through diagnostics with Apple chat, and them looking at the software results they've said it's got to be a firmware issue.

I also followed a trouble shooting fix from the Apple community for this issue. It consists of fully charging and fully discharging the battery a few times, in the hope that it fixes the problem. It didn't make a difference in my case.

I'm booked into the Apple genius bar on Tuesday, so I'll update this thread with the outcome. I thought it might be helpful for other ppl finding themselves with this issue to document the process.

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I did an online diagnostics the "genius" started.
Came back with "battery is showing as healthy so must be a problem your end"
So far this super praised apple support has been crap.
Message 61 of 65

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Sounds like you got one that CBA?
Surely the first question asked should have been about the phone's serial number?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 62 of 65

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They asked serial then said they needed to do diagnostics. So they started one through the ios system request on the phone. Once done they just said it's healthy and sent link to battery care page.
Message 63 of 65

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Alright, we've sent the diagnostic request, and you'll have about five minutes to initiate the process on your iOS device. To get the process started, navigate to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage and tap "Start Diagnostics with Apple Support."

Please review the terms and conditions, then tap "Continue" and "Agree." If necessary, select your device and then tap "Start."

You'll see a progress bar while the diagnostic test runs. During that time, please keep your device powered on and avoid switching to other apps. After the test completes, you'll see the word "Waiting." From there, tap "Close" and "Close Diagnostics."

Let us know when the test is complete, and we'll review the results.
Message 64 of 65

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Once done...

Thank you for letting us know. We have had a chance to review the results and the battery is showing as healthy and no other issues were reported outside of the shutdowns you reported. Please take a look at the maximized battery performance page here: https://t.co/GnGx08Sr3H for tips and tricks to maximizing the battery performance. You can also look under Settings > Battery and see what has used the most of the battery in the last 24 hours and 7 days.

Bear in mind they didn't dispute the "ones I reported"
Message 65 of 65