cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clean an iphone 'Home' button

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I'd share this, as it took me weeks to finally get my 'Home' button working, but only took seconds to sort it out!  

I tried the software recalibration of the home button first:  

1. Open any app that was installed on your phone when you bought it e.g. 'Notes', 'Clock' or 'Shares'.
  2. Hold down the sleep/wake button at the top until the slide to power off appears.
  3. Release it, and then hold the home button down until the slider disappears.
  4. Check if it's working.

This didn't work, so after lots of long-winded research, the solution was very simple in the end:

1. Blow hard on the front face of the home button to create a bit of steam from your breath and hopefully to release any debris.
  2. If you have nails (I used my thumb nail), run one around the slit between the phone casing and the circle formed by the home button itself.  Someone suggested a damp cocktail stick with its end squashed a bit so it wouldn't scratch the phone.  Either way, you need something to just clear anything from inside this ridge. 

It took about 20 secs and worked straight away.  Happy days!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

if your carefull you could also

wet a old toothbrush then shake of most the acsess water. ( asmuch as possilble )

then scrub carefully between the gap round the home button and dry off.

i do this method for all my game pads e.c.t and it cleans them up nicely 

but good info

hope it helped 

childofkorn

Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Good info @Anonymous Thanks for posting.

I think a warning to be very careful while you are doing this delicate piece of 'restoration' goes without saying?

If it worked for you, that's good to know wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

That's useful to know. Even if you don't have a Home button (at physical one at least).

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't advise this as if you break it, you'll have to pay out if there is dirt then try a damp cloth
Message 5 of 5