cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot abroad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't seem to be able to use my phone as a hotspot for data when abroad. Works fine in the UK. Can anyone help? Many thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Never used mine but I am sure @MI5 @jonsie or @viridis could help. I have mentioned them so hope they come online to assist you ...:smileywink:

Edited to ask what phone you are using?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You cannot tether if using o2 travel.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I don't think standard mobile contracts include tethering, which is what this would be.
I believe it's mentioned in the o2 travel terms and conditions.
Message 4 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Number 7 of O2 travel terms
You may not use your Smartphone as a personal hotspot connection (this is also known as tethering) while using O2 Travel data.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions
Message 5 of 7

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

I'm not one of the afore mentioned, however quick thought which sprung to mind - are you trying to use O2 Travel data as a hotspot? If so then I know that's not permitted, so could be why you're having an issue.

If it's standard roaming data at standard rates then I'm not aware of any limitation/restriction so long as you're a Pay Monthly customer (don't think it's permitted on PAYG?), part from the roaming data spend cap on your account.

Edit: Too slow! Haha 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
If using an iphone, then the APN is switched when using tethering to use the apn imodem.o2.co.uk, this is then routed differently internally at o2.

So its quite easy for o2 to identify traffic and block at a network level.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7