cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help...my 1st iphone 5,wi fi problems.only works beside router

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there everyone,

Iv just changed from HTC to Iphone 5 & wi fi only works when im standing right beside our router.

I did google search for suggestions on what could be wrong,tried resetting networks then switching phone off & on again to no avail.i also changed my Proxy setting to auto as someone advised,but not worked either.

I bought phone from a friend so she reset factory settings before giving to me.she hadnt had any problems with her wi fi connection.

Im very iphone clueless & hoping some of you can advise me what to do if it can be fixed.

Any advise welcomed & appreciated

Lynne

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
i took my pay&go simcard into local little mobile/computer shop & the guy cut my sim smaller to put in iphone so i dont know if my sim was nano or microsim
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ill let you all know how it goes. heres hoping nothing to major
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah if anythin needing repaired i understand ill be payin for it. eeek fingers crossed its something easily resolved
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I'm I right in saying it's the Wifi only that's not working / connecting to your router at distance from your router ?

Im missing if you've mentioned it's not working on o2's Network. Is it connecting to 3G etc and sending / receiving texts etc.

The SIM card will have been cut down to a nano size but if you want the O2 store can transfer your number and tariff onto a nano SIM card if your having issues.

Regarding Wifi.

Does your phone connect to Public Wifi such as MacDonalds etc ?

Ref your iPhone : Go into Settings and Wifi and touch the (i) and forget the router wifi it connected to, and then re enter the password to re connect.

Does any other wifi gadget connect to your router Ok.

You could try changing the wifi channel on your router as the channel your on May be congested or have frequency issues.

Apples own help link -> http://support.apple.com/en-gb/TS1398

If you have a local Apple Store then you could make a Genius Bar Appointment ->

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

As said Apple provide years warranty but I have known them to try and help out anyway. If it is hardware related they would offer an out of warranty replacement for a cost.

I wouldnt recommend o2's own repair services have the phone. Search on the forum for people who have, then have had major issues to see why.

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I ommited to add http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=iphone to show the out of warranty prices.

Look at express replacement servuce. It's over £200+
Message 15 of 17

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm wondering if it's a problem with the wifi antenna if it only works next to the router - is it just your router or any wifi connection?
Could be the original owner had the screen replaced somewhere and the antenna was damaged?
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Sanmy_boy, all those questions have already been asked, we are now hoping for the op to update her thread here on the outcome
Message 17 of 17