cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Concerned - In the process of a claim for replacement and not sure of old iPhone data safety

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently damaged my iPhone and have had to package it up after erasing it off FindMyiPhone. But I'm not convinced that the handset's data, which will inevitably end up in a third party's hands, will be safe.

I've been told to wait 3-5 days for the claim to be processed and for the phone to be checked to clarify damage that has been reported.

How do claimants know for sure the old data on the handsets being sent in will be securely wiped before given to new owners?

They've also told be to stay off iCloud whilst my claim is processed, and haven't given me specifics of when I can expect the new handset. 

Also, I was curious if anyone could inform me, now that the handset has been erased and I'm unable to use it, how will I get back to signing in to various platforms that have the old handset's number as two factor authentification? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darius, sorry to hear about your iPhone.  It always feels like a disaster and nver comes at a good time!

It sounds as though you've already sent your phone back by what you've said.  If not, you could connect it to iTunes and erase it from there.  If the phone is working but maybe the screen is smashed you can erase it by logging in to Find My iPhone.

As far as two factor identification goes, so long as you still have your sim you will be able to use it with another phone and still get texts for two factor ID.

If you backed up your phone in iTunes with  encryption (put the tick in the box under Back Up in iTunes) when you restore to your new iPhone it will carry over all the passwords and data for banking apps etc ( I believe).  You'll certainly get all your texts and wifi passwords, which can be a pain to reset.

Sorry if this is too late, but fingers crossed you haven't sent it back yet.

Hope you get good news soon

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It is down to you to ensure you have wiped the phone fully before sending it in and unless you put your sim in another device to receive the two factor texts, you won't be able to log into them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darius, sorry to hear about your iPhone.  It always feels like a disaster and nver comes at a good time!

It sounds as though you've already sent your phone back by what you've said.  If not, you could connect it to iTunes and erase it from there.  If the phone is working but maybe the screen is smashed you can erase it by logging in to Find My iPhone.

As far as two factor identification goes, so long as you still have your sim you will be able to use it with another phone and still get texts for two factor ID.

If you backed up your phone in iTunes with  encryption (put the tick in the box under Back Up in iTunes) when you restore to your new iPhone it will carry over all the passwords and data for banking apps etc ( I believe).  You'll certainly get all your texts and wifi passwords, which can be a pain to reset.

Sorry if this is too late, but fingers crossed you haven't sent it back yet.

Hope you get good news soon

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very kind of you to get back to me Colin.

It has indeed already been collected, but the handset was wiped/erased on FindMyiPhone before it was collected.

I just was curious as to whether people who will come to handle the handset (third party) later one, will potentially be able to still find a way to access the data, somehow. I know tech savvy people can do some extraordinary things when they want to. But perhaps I'm not accurate here.

Still have the SIM so that's good news in regards to log ins. Would've been a right pain!

Just curious as to whether you know of how many days one would expect to wait whilst the phone is being checked by o2 and when the replacement might be sent? I've had no word from o2 in terms of waiting times you see.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
They quote a 24 hour replacement time once the claim has been validated so it might be worth you chasing it up with CS http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5