• 3662 Solutions
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I read this today. Disturbing and somewhat embarressing for Apple.

I never use facetime so not an issue for me but for those that do.....

Message 2 of 9

Bydandie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's a bug, like any other.  No worse that some serious issues that have been in Android, but the bug doesn't work now as Group FaceTime is now down until the fix is out (which will be this week according to reports).

Imagine if google could put a temporary fix for all Android devices?

Message 3 of 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Maybe I'm being a bit dim here @Bydandie but what problems are you referring to on android that compares to this bug on iPhones.

I ask as a long time android user who has never used and never will use an iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying android is perfect. But I certainly prefer it to Apple products and can't recall any serious problems I've experienced on any of my android phones.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up @Bambino

Fortunately, I don't use Facetime (or iPhones) so I should be ok with my lovely Note 8 fingers_crossed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

Bydandie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Maybe I'm being a bit dim here @Bydandie but what problems are you referring to on android that compares to this bug on iPhones.

I ask as a long time android user who has never used and never will use an iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying android is perfect. But I certainly prefer it to Apple products and can't recall any serious problems I've experienced on any of my android phones.

Stage fright? https://www.wired.com/2016/08/quadroot-android-vulnerability-qualcomm/

Or google tracking your location without you knowing? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/13/google-location-tracking-android-iphone-mobile

This is bug was resolved within 12hrs of being made public, which is hard to do on the fragmented android ecosystem. How many people have affected by it? We’ll never know but the best vulnerabilities (of which there many in iOS and Android) are never known about.

You see I do dabble in android still as well as iOS, and don’t have a blind faith in Apple.  I do, however trust them more than Google or Samsung and know that when an issue is found it’s fixed within a week typically on my device.  That even extends to my daughters 5 year old iPhone 5s, how quickly will critical issues be fixed on a 3 year old Samsung or Google Pixel?

Message 6 of 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Thanks for the info @Bydandie, makes interesting reading.

To be honest I did know about Google tracking you without your knowledge. As I'm at home most of the time, I'm not bothered about that. And when I do go out, I don't go anywhere that the world and his wife would be interested in. I don't do anything of interest to anyone, and that includes the police and the security services. But I can understand how other people might be very upset and angry about this.

As for updates and support  to old phones, as I tend to change my phone every 2 years, as they tend to be knackered through hard use, that's never likely to affect me.

The vulnerabilities, however, do concern me but I'll be honest I hate iphones and even this wouldn't make me switch.

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Although the link posted by @Bydandie on Google tracking relates to iPhones and as well as Android phones...

I think it's all a matter of personal choice and circumstances. I don't live my life through my phone.

I know many have to, as that's part of progress and technology.

My preference is Samsung. I can't see me changing in my lifetime. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Although the link posted by @Bydandie on Google tracking relates to iPhones and as well as Android phones...

I think it's all a matter of personal choice and circumstances. I don't live my life through my phone.

I know many have to, as that's part of progress and technology.

My preference is Samsung. I can't see me changing in my lifetime. wink

I do I suppose live a certain amount of my life through my phone, as I don't have a PC and am not out and about every day.

However, I did forget to mention that my phone was turned off when I go out and remains off until I return home. I only go out to meet friends either in a restaurant or their homes. I think it the height of rudeness to either play with my phone or take a call when I'm meeting friends I don't often see and who expect to have a conversation with me not my phone. After all, that's what voicemail is for. I check my messages when I return home and message, email or call people back depending on the urgency of the message left.

Message 9 of 9