cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Law 2 Year Manufacturers Warranty

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it correct Apple only offer a 12 month warranty? See this link for the EU ruling that products bought in the UK have a standard 2 year warranty. Has anyone successfully used this law to get their handset repaired by Apple after the initial 12 months has lapsed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilers.html
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@mi5 it is in the apple link in the small print point 2

In most EU member states, consumers may only claim consumer law rights against the seller from whom they purchased the product. There are some exceptions, including Finland, France and Sweden. Please contact your local European Consumer Centre for details of the position in your country. Consumers who purchased Apple-branded or non-Apple-branded products at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store may claim against Apple.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 31 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Clear as mud slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt

is it reasonable to expect a phone to last 2 years? O2 offer the phone on a separate finance scheme for 2 years, which would suggest the phone would be expected to last 2 years as a minimum. My phone has developed a fault with the screen, it becomes totally unresponsive renderering it useless as I cannot even answer calls. It is just out of the 1 year warranty, Apple looked at it and have said it needs to be replaced. O2 have sent it to be looked at again and said that any repair will need to be paid for and they do not have to abide by consumer law. My argument was that the unit has become unfit for purpose due to a manufacturing fault as documented by the manufacturer when they inspected it, therefore it should be repaired or replaced under the SOGA. 

Is it just down to interpretation?

Message 33 of 43

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would be better advised by trading standards - non of us are experts in that field on here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 43

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This is all a bit of a minefield regarding SOG act energy European law and no one on here can confidently advise you.

O2 and European law.....

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/eu-directive-1999-44-ec

Message 35 of 43

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

One of the biggest arguments against buying an overpriced brand with a limited warranty.

Message 36 of 43

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
The warranty is offered by apple, not o2.

As for SOGA this is very subjective and can be argued either way. But one thing is for sure, yoi will have to make some noise before O2 will take notice.

As for apple, if they had any faith in their product, they would offer 2 years warranty like everyone else.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 37 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple are pretty transparent when it comes to warranty (1 year) and consumer law.

If you purchase direct from Apple and report an in warranty issue within 2 years they will perform an in warranty repair or replacement.

They will also honor this up to 6 years but only if reported within the initial 2 years.

Every customer has the right to report a fault or error to the place of purchas within 2 years. It is then subject to the individual companies to honor the consumer law rights.
Message 38 of 43

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Apple are pretty transparent when it comes to warranty (1 year) and consumer law.

If you purchase direct from Apple and report an in warranty issue within 2 years they will perform an in warranty repair or replacement.

They will also honor this up to 6 years but only if reported within the initial 2 years.

yeah... Very clear

More info
Thoughful

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 39 of 43

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Customers on here will tell you that Apple are anything but transparent when taking a phone for repair just out of the warranty period no matter where it was purchased. Why should it make a difference buying from Apple directly or via an approved or authorised retailer......???

Message 40 of 43