cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-sim from iPhone to iPhone: quick/easy?

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

How easy is it currently to move an O2 e-sim from an iPhone to another iPhone? 

Is it quicker/easier to move the e-sim back onto a p-sim, then move it to the new iPhone, then move it back from p-sim to e-sim? 

I seem to remember that moving your e-sim to a new phone can take ages (like 24h or something?), compared to a p-sim that can simply be popped straight in to the new phone in minutes. 

So what's the deal with these on O2 currently? Good experience or still slow? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Security feature I guess to prevent someone else stealing your number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Sure, but given Apple have the new system on that support doc, you would think O2 would support it, as it's just as secure. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212780 

"You can activate your eSIM while you're setting up your iPhone if your network provider supports eSIM Network Provider Activation or eSIM Quick Transfer."

So does O2 do this "eSIM Quick Transfer" or not? That's the million dollar question. 

Message 12 of 20

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Not that we are aware of currently @jimthing0 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Firstly, I just chatted with O2. They support NEITHER facility: 

- "eSIM Network Provider Activation" – for (carrier-obtained iPhone) new eSIM activations. 

nor

- "eSIM Quick Transfer" – for current eSIM users device swaps. 

Secondly, I then found this, that also confirms they DO NOT: 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096 

Ridiculous, quite frankly.

So I have to either traipse down to an O2 store or phone them to get a sodding old-fashioned barcode eSIM pack, just to eSIM-swap devices. Not great, as I'm really busy. 

----------------- 

EDIT: I found my old barcode/QR code card: can we use that...insead of having to get a *new* eSIM pack with a new barcode/QR code card on it?

Message 14 of 20

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@jimthing0 

Sadly not.

You can use the original barcode to reinstall the esim on the same phone up to 3 times, but not for a phone transfer.

Message 15 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The O2 CS agent I did an online chat with said exactly the opposite, and has it COMPLETELY WRONG. Quelle surprise.! 🙄

As usual a simple yes/no answer was too simple for them, they were clearly bluffing their way through the chat, only eventually saying I COULD use my OLD one after being pressed to clarify

– thus even then getting it entirely wrong, as you CANNOT! 

See the red box on PAGE 2 where they say entirely the wrong info: 

A transcript of your chat with O2 1.jpgA transcript of your chat with O2 2.jpg

• Links in above chat: 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212780 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim – under "Upgrading your device with esim" it clearly says: "When you upgrade to a new esim device, you'll also need to get a new 4G or 5G esim pack."

Why can't O2 CS staff get such basic information correct. This is the most basic of things they should easily know. Pfft! 🙄 

Message 16 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Well I cut work short to drag myself to a nearby O2 store, and yes you need a NEW eSIM pack. 

I grabbed two, to be sure. They did say it's normally near-instant the swap, so we'll see on Friday how long it actually takes. 

Only EE currently offer the new Apple options: 

• "eSIM Network Provider Activation" – for (carrier-obtained iPhone) new eSIM activations.
• "eSIM Quick Transfer" – for current eSIM users device swaps. 

Thanks all! 

Message 17 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12367 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1148 Solutions

Given the number of queries that are going to be flying about with the new iPhone launch @Martin-O2 @RafaC @Breanna @Chris_K , it would seem as though the CS advisors could do with some re-training or having updated crib sheets.

Can you pass this back to o2?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 20

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Morning @gmarkj thanks for flagging us. We'll definitely feed this back to O2.

Message 19 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

WARNING: you definitely need a NEW eSIM pack to set-up a NEW device.

I set-up my new iPhone 14 PM this morning (paid in-full, from Apple online). I sim-swapped to a new eSIM using a new eSIM pack I got from recent O2 store visit. But after an hour, the number was still not working on the new phone or old phone (called it from my partners phone, and it said "sorry cannot connect you at this time"). 

So I called O2. The first agent was utterly clueless, telling me I needed to use the *old* eSIM pack's SSN, even after I pointed out this was entirely not what the Help section says for new device use. He then said he couldn't see the SSN for the new eSIM either, and that I needed to go to a store as they are the only ones who can activate new eSIM pack SSN's in store?! Utter rubbish, so I hung-up after a while as is was evident he was clueless. 

Redialled and the next agent checked the *new* eSIM pack's SSN was set-up and I re-called it form my partner's device again, and it was working on the new iPhone. 

So be aware: you still need a NEW eSIM pack to set-up a NEW device, regardless of if you get a clueless O2 CS agent telling you otherwise. And no, you do NOT need to go to a store to set it up either. 

Message 20 of 20