cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-sim from iPhone to iPhone: quick/easy?

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

How easy is it currently to move an O2 e-sim from an iPhone to another iPhone? 

Is it quicker/easier to move the e-sim back onto a p-sim, then move it to the new iPhone, then move it back from p-sim to e-sim? 

I seem to remember that moving your e-sim to a new phone can take ages (like 24h or something?), compared to a p-sim that can simply be popped straight in to the new phone in minutes. 

So what's the deal with these on O2 currently? Good experience or still slow? 

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146773 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@jimthing0 

You need a new esim pack and then initiate a sim swap Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

Standard disclaimer is that it may take up to 24 hours but in my experience usually done in 4 hours tops and most have been instant.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 146773 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@jimthing0 

You need a new esim pack and then initiate a sim swap Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

Standard disclaimer is that it may take up to 24 hours but in my experience usually done in 4 hours tops and most have been instant.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks for quick reply. 

Once I've ordered the esim swap, can I instantly wipe the old device, or do I have to wait until the swap is ready on the new device before wiping the old device? 

(reason: I need to give my old phone to someone on the same day I get the new one, so time is an issue!) 

Message 3 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Apple have a new Sep.2022 support article on this: 

"About eSIM on iPhone": https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212780

Does O2 support this new eSim setup procedure, or do we still have to get an eSim pack from O2 just to move eSim from iPhone to iPhone...? 

Message 4 of 20

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

As far as I have seen, you still need the eSim pack from O2, @jimthing0.

Good luck! 

Message 5 of 20

MI5
  • 146773 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@jimthing0 

Don't wipe the phone until you have started the sim swap process as you need to initiate it from the old esim.

Message 6 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

So if I understand you... 

1. I still need an eSim pack from O2, regardless of the new Apple method? 

2. After I initiate the swap on the old device, I can immediately wipe it & give to new owner? I don't need to wait until my new device shows as working?

Message 7 of 20

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10576 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@jimthing0 

I haven't seen anyone use the new Apple Method, and we don't use it as an enterprise. 

I would wait for the new device to be showing a working Network connection, before wiping the phone.  Just on the incase the swap takes the maximum of 24hours.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 146773 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@jimthing0 

In theory, as soon as you initiate the swap process, it will automatically run it's course.

After all, there's nothing you can do with the old phone if it fails, so you will need intervention from customer services either way.

Message 9 of 20

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I can't believe we still need to get an eSim pack from O2 to do this. 

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 20