cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable 3G Option removed in carrier update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

As i'm sure others have noticed, the option to disable 3G for iphone has recently been / being removed via a carrier update. This was obtainted for me through itunes.

I cannot stress how incredibly annoying this is. Everywhere i go i have dreadful reception for 3G which causes both my battery to die almost twice as quick and also means i have awful phone signal for voice conversations.

I've recently signed up to a new 24 month contract after getting the new Iphone 5S but would like to know if this can be re-enabled in anyway???

If not, does anyone know if i am within my rights to cancel my contract over this?

I have no landline at home so now not having the option to switch to 2G indoors makes my new iphone useless when i would like to actually use it to talk to someone!!

Thanks,

Phil

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Leebroath
Level 3: Thinker
  • 81 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I live North East Coast Scotland mate

There won't be any 4G up here for probably another 5> years
Message 21 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i'm on IOS7 and had updated to 7.0.2 i think proably the day it came out which still had the option for 3G enabled for sure.

Only since the carrier update has it removed slight_frown

I'm gunna give O2 a call at weekend with looking to cancel my new contract if possible. I know the colling off period only applies to new customers not upgrades, but the decision to do this has a big impact on how my operates day to day.

although like someone else has highlighted, it seems the other networks are doing the same.

Without trying to sound negative i cant imagine that they will reverse the decision to remove it anytime soon either......

Message 22 of 31

RueDrBouree
Level 4: Observant
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

O2 15.2

I'm not on a 4G tariff

Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 23 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrier O2 15.2 BTW

Message 24 of 31

Leebroath
  • 81 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can I just say,

Even though my toggle is on and states 4G, it is only 3G that is displayed when I'm in a 3G coverage area

Im quite surprised your phone does not have a toggle, have you tried a full restore on the phone, set up as new?
Message 25 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149605 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
I think it's possible something went wrong with the update... No updates showing OTA but I'll try a restore in iTunes later.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it is only 3G that is displayed for me too as i'm not in a 4G area or even on a 4G tariff.

It just means that i no longer have the option to go to 2G (GPRS / EDGE) to have a phone call that doesnt drop out or to extend my battery life by an extra 30%!!

Cheers for replies all.

Message 27 of 31

Leebroath
  • 81 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's another to add from myself, I'm on a 3G Tariff yet my toggle switch is 4G

Very strange! Maybe o2 needs to look into this as it's very deceiving
Message 28 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using an iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0.2
O2 15.1

No new networks updates available.

I'm on Payg which may be the reason why.

My ability to toggle off and on 3G is still there.

Message 29 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.2 and have have the option to turn off 3G. Last night I got a pop-up saying the carrier settings had been updated so I installed the update but the option to turn on and off 3G is still there.

The option for Personal Hotspot has disappeared though and was there when I was on Vodafone last week.
Message 30 of 31