cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing an O2 contract after 24 months Does the cost reduce?

mcbrydc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will be at the end of my 24 month contract for iphone 4s soon.    At the moment I am considering staying with the 4s rather than upgrading to 5s.    On the monthly contracts, the initial cost of the phone varies with the tarriff chosen.   This led me to believe that part of the 24 monthly cost was payment for the balance of the cost of the phone.    Should my monthly costs reduce if I have already paid for the phone or must I just keep on paying the same amount ad infinitum?   

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

The tariff cost remains the same. However you will be able to lower the tariff if you so wish at the end of the contract or take a look at the monthly Simplicity tariffs. You would still be able to upgrade at a time of your choosing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

The tariff cost remains the same. However you will be able to lower the tariff if you so wish at the end of the contract or take a look at the monthly Simplicity tariffs. You would still be able to upgrade at a time of your choosing.

Message 2 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You can't make up your own contract terms, your existing one will stay as it is.

You can choose a Simplicity sim only deal to lower your costs as jonsie said.

O2 Refresh has been brought in to provide what you seem to think you already have, so to get a drop once you have paid off the phone or to get a new phone you can upgrade to a Refresh deal.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Switch to an O2 Refresh contract with your existing phone. That way when the phone contract ends all that you pay is the airtime contract until you decide to get a new phone. The Airtime and Phone contracts are effectively separate.

Message 4 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Switch to an O2 Refresh contract with your existing phone. That way when the phone contract ends all that you pay is the airtime contract untill you decide to ger a new phone. The Airtime and Phone contracts are effectively separate.

O2 refresh will not allow purchase of the airtime only without the handset agreement you would need to go the simplicity route.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Switch to an O2 Refresh contract with your existing phone.

That's why we suggested Simplicity, your idea can't be done.

The phone and line contracts are only separate after buying a Refresh deal.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to this link you can switch an existing contract to O2 Refresh. The closer that you are to the end of your existing contract the less it will cost you. If you are in the last month it should be free.

Message 7 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And assumed you take a full refresh package airtime and handset agreement from the T&C

The following terms and conditions apply to tariffs on O2 Refresh:

1. O2 Refresh is a combined 24 month airtime and phone tariff which includes our standard Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement (our latest pay monthly mobile agreement) (the “Airtime Plan”) and options to pay for your phone upfront or to spread the cost on a Credit Agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the “Phone Plan” – see example in the link below). Selected combinations of Phone Plans and Airtime Plans with selected handsets will include an up-front payment for the handset.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

According to this link you can switch an existing contract to O2 Refresh.

O2 Refresh would be a new contract, you cannot switch.

Message 9 of 9