cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only recieve data/internet on iPhone 5 when on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just yesterday I upgraded to an iPhone 5. The area I live in is odd in so much as it seems to straddle between 2G, E, and 3G, although the O2 postcode checker shows no 3G in the area. This hasn't been too much of an issue in the past, my old iPhone 4S could for the most part get data/internet on the E - but my new iPhone 5 simply won't at all. I actually had to drive to a 3G area last night to make sure that the phone was working.  At home I keep getting "Safari could not open the page location as the server stopped responding" - which is soooooo frustating.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

In a way it's good to know that this isn't just an O2 thing, but damn that sucks that it might indeed be the actual phone, and knowing Apple, they'll release the new one or something next month and they'll have fixed the issue -- and we'll be stuck with the 5, for in my case the next two years.

Message 21 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In a way it's good to know that this isn't just an O2 thing, but damn that sucks that it might indeed be the actual phone, and knowing Apple, they'll release the new one or something next month and they'll have fixed the issue -- and we'll be stuck with the 5, for in my case the next two years.

Its defintely not an issue with the iPhone 5 else everyone who own a iPhone 5 would have the issue. Yeah there are people affected by the issue, but in the greater picture of total sales, the people affected are only a very small percentage. I've used my iPhone 5 in the Lake District, which is notorius for poor/weak coverage and I've had no problems with any iPhone I've used there.

If I were you I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ and bypass the O2 Store from now on.

Has I mentioned earlier, the Apple Store Genius's will have greater access in store to do more thorougher test and other various tests etc on your iPhone than what an O2 Store will.

I would keep on going down the road of going to the Apple Store until such time that you have a working iPhone. They have to do something if the iPhone isn't usable to you, especially when you explain what courses of action you have taken previously.

Message 22 of 24

jwood42
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have seen others having rpoblems with iPhone 5.  I have the same or a similar problem with the iPhone 6.  Never had this with my old HTC HD2.

If I am in a 3G area I can get a data connection, but not in a 2G area.  Unfortunately nearly all this area is @g, where it works at all (no connection at all indoors here, rely on TuGo).  I need a data connection in 2G areas too.  I rang O2 and was advised to change the settings but this has not helped.  Please advise what to do.  If my iPhone is not fit for purpose I would be sorry to have to return it for a refund

Message 23 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
2g is not suitable for data - Only the very basic text based apps such as whatsapp, iMessage, BBM etc.
It's just too slow for any kind of browsing at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 24