cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only recieve data/internet on iPhone 5 when on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just yesterday I upgraded to an iPhone 5. The area I live in is odd in so much as it seems to straddle between 2G, E, and 3G, although the O2 postcode checker shows no 3G in the area. This hasn't been too much of an issue in the past, my old iPhone 4S could for the most part get data/internet on the E - but my new iPhone 5 simply won't at all. I actually had to drive to a 3G area last night to make sure that the phone was working.  At home I keep getting "Safari could not open the page location as the server stopped responding" - which is soooooo frustating.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told in the local store today that the iPhone 5 simply doesn't work very well on the Edge signal and that what I was experiencing was normal. Later I tweeted the O2 twitter account and they set up an online chat - the guy there talked me through the usual steps, including taking out and putting back the sim, and he said that the handset is indeed at fault and to take it back to the O2 shop to be replaced. So I've printed out tha chat transcript for the local store to see when I go back tomorrow.

You've been told absolute rubbish by the O2 Store staff. I have the iPhone 5 and it works fine on EDGE.

If you get the same poor service again at your O2 Store, I would bypass them and go to your nearest Apple Store. You can make a Genius Bar appointment by the below link. I've dealt with Apple's customer service on a couple of occasions and they don't mess you around.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

They replaced the phone once I produced the chat transcript which said that the phone needed replacing. The replacement though is likewise having a very dodgy time with the Edge signal. I don't understand this - my old iPhone 4s worked fine with the Edge, and it's a five bar Edge signal. Why won't the iPhone 5 work with it?

Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You've been told absolute rubbish by the O2 Store staff. I have the iPhone 5 and it works fine on EDGE.

I echo Fatboy.

My iPhone 5 also works fine on edge albeit a lot slower obviously than 3G.

Their are several links within this thread relating to the Apple Genius Bar.

Message 13 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They replaced the phone once I produced the chat transcript which said that the phone needed replacing. The replacement though is likewise having a very dodgy time with the Edge signal. I don't understand this - my old iPhone 4s worked fine with the Edge, and it's a five bar Edge signal. Why won't the iPhone 5 work with it?

I suppose this will have been looked at, but are you defintely on a iPhone data bolt on?

Can you log into My O2. Once you are logged in, you will see "My Bolt Ons summary". Listed in here will be all your bolt ons. Can you tell me what bolt ons you have?

Other than what I have mentioned above, I would suggest making a Genius Bar appointment at your nearest Apple Store and explain your situation with them.

They'll have greater access in store to do more thorougher test and other various tests etc on your iPhone than what an O2 Store will, and perhaps they will replace your replacement iPhone on the spot.

I cannot understand why your having trouble with EDGE has I've never had issues with EDGE, obviously its slower than 3G but that's all I experience with EDGE. My gut thought is its a location based mast issue that's currently going on in your location, as you've had two iPhone's with the same issue.

It would be interesting to see if it is indeed a location based issue your having with EDGE, i.e. if you went onto a different mast would the EDGE issue be still there.

Message 14 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

The bolt-ons are all fine - heck 3G is excellent when I'm in one of those areas, it's just the Edge where the trouble has started. I just can't fathom why I could get data with my old 4S when on the Edge, but it's next to impossible with the 5.

Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I get every single time.

IMG_3408[1].PNG

Message 16 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried using another browser such as Google Chrome.

It wont affect the edge issue but i find chrome to be all round better than safari.

Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have - the Atomic web browser, and the problem is still there.

I'm now booked in with the supposed O2 Guru for next week, so we'll see how that goes. If that's useless, next stop Apple.

Message 18 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I have - the Atomic web browser, and the problem is still there.

I'm now booked in with the supposed O2 Guru for next week, so we'll see how that goes. If that's useless, next stop Apple.

Too be honest I would say you'll be better going to an Apple Store and seeing one of their Genius's at the Genius bar. But its worth a try seeing one of the O2 Guru's in the mean time.

With you trying a different browser and still having the same issue, its making me think that the issue is a location based issue on your local O2 mast.

It would be worth a try (if possible) if you could try and see if the problem exists in a different area/different mast.

At least you've tried a few different things to try and pin point the issue. But if you get told the same crap by the Guru that the earlier O2 store staff said about:

"the iPhone 5 simply doesn't work very well on the Edge signal and that what I was experiencing was normal"

I would walk out and make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

Message 19 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Sorry to barge in on this conversation, I am a Vodafone customer that is experiencing exactly the same problems, I have had two different handsets and SIM cards in the past week. Whereas my previous HTC could pick up a 3G signal at my home, both iphone handsets can only recieve GPRS. 

The vodafone Eforum has many complaints about the iphone 5 having no data connection when on EDGE or GPRS stretching back to when the phone was first released. Many solutions have been touted about, but with no official solution or indeed even an actual acknowledgement that there is a problem offered by Vodafone.

I have another technical guru calling me back tomorrow, if no joy by Monday then I plan to reject the handset a second time 

While Vodafone don't seem to have a solution but I found the following worked for a while when using GPRS,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4617369?start=15&tstart=0

Message 20 of 24