cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only recieve data/internet on iPhone 5 when on 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just yesterday I upgraded to an iPhone 5. The area I live in is odd in so much as it seems to straddle between 2G, E, and 3G, although the O2 postcode checker shows no 3G in the area. This hasn't been too much of an issue in the past, my old iPhone 4S could for the most part get data/internet on the E - but my new iPhone 5 simply won't at all. I actually had to drive to a 3G area last night to make sure that the phone was working.  At home I keep getting "Safari could not open the page location as the server stopped responding" - which is soooooo frustating.

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In a way it's good to know that this isn't just an O2 thing, but damn that sucks that it might indeed be the actual phone, and knowing Apple, they'll release the new one or something next month and they'll have fixed the issue -- and we'll be stuck with the 5, for in my case the next two years.

Its defintely not an issue with the iPhone 5 else everyone who own a iPhone 5 would have the issue. Yeah there are people affected by the issue, but in the greater picture of total sales, the people affected are only a very small percentage. I've used my iPhone 5 in the Lake District, which is notorius for poor/weak coverage and I've had no problems with any iPhone I've used there.

If I were you I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ and bypass the O2 Store from now on.

Has I mentioned earlier, the Apple Store Genius's will have greater access in store to do more thorougher test and other various tests etc on your iPhone than what an O2 Store will.

I would keep on going down the road of going to the Apple Store until such time that you have a working iPhone. They have to do something if the iPhone isn't usable to you, especially when you explain what courses of action you have taken previously.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you got your iPhone 5 from an O2 store I would advise going back and telling them about your problem. It seems very strange that you cannot receive data or use internet on 2G, E.

I have the iPhone 5 and I can access data, internet whether I'm on 3G, E, or gprs.

One thing I would advise you to try is to do the following:

On your iPhone go into Settings/General then scroll down and touch Reset. Choose RESET NETWORK SETTINGS.

If that doesnt work I would go back to the O2 store (if you got your iPhone from there) or an Apple Store if purchased from there.

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried the "reset network settings" option 4 times now in the vain hope that it would work, and nada. It's very annoying.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've tried the "reset network settings" option 4 times now in the vain hope that it would work, and nada. It's very annoying.

I would go back to the place you got your iPhone from and tell them whats happening.

Have you checked the O2 service status for your area?

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did - everything seems fine. They were apparently working on some masts but according to their status message that's now done - pity my phone still won't work.

I'll have to go back to the O2 store on Monday - it's just not good enough that I'm paying a contract bill for something that only half works.

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Hopefully the 02 Guru in the store can help you but whatever you do dont let 02 send your iPhone 5 off for repair.

Arrange a Genius Bar Appointment here http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

or contact Apple Support if you dont have a local Apple Store on http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/contact/

Hope all goes Ok.

Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm hoping they'll replace the phone - I only got it on Friday, and the local O2 store doesn't open on a Sunday here, so tomorrow morning is the earliest I could get it back.
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your within the 7 day cooling off period you can return the phone.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told in the local store today that the iPhone 5 simply doesn't work very well on the Edge signal and that what I was experiencing was normal. Later I tweeted the O2 twitter account and they set up an online chat - the guy there talked me through the usual steps, including taking out and putting back the sim, and he said that the handset is indeed at fault and to take it back to the O2 shop to be replaced. So I've printed out tha chat transcript for the local store to see when I go back tomorrow.

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for giving an update.

Let us know how you get on at the shop.

Message 10 of 24