cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone confirm if my iPhone 4S has been successfully unlocked?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evening All,

Sorry, I’m new here (except for a bit of lurking) and I need your expert help with unlocking my iPhone 4S.

It was obviously an 02 phone and when I tried a mates “3” SIM in it last month, it said something along the lines of SIM/Network not supported.

So when I got my new iPhone 5 I called O2 and requested that they unlock it with a view to selling it.  After a lot of toing and froing between O2 and Apple I received a text to advise me that it had been “successfully unlatched”.

To test this I got a TESCO PAYG SIM today and put it into the phone and connected it to iTunes.  However, I didn’t receive a confirmation window to advise that the phone had successfully been unlocked.  But the phone seems to be working fine with both voice and internet.  Can anybody confirm; is there a way to see if an iPhone is fully unlocked without having to stick in every other type of network SIM card into the **bleep** thing?  I just want to unequivocally state that the phone is fully unlocked when coming to sell via eBay etc...

Thanks in advance for you help, it’s appreciated!

Charlie slight_smile

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Same with Giffgaff, you can use those in a locked to O2 phone. Really need to check with a Voda or Orange sim unless you can check with USSD code on an iPhone, like you can with android?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
If you can use another networks sim other than O2 you have been "unlocked" my friend:)

What size is the phone? I know a website you'll probally get a lot more money for it if your interested?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You need to be careful putting a Tesco SIM into an O2 phone as it is essentially the same network and I have used Tesco sims in a locked O2 phone before now. (doesn't always work the other way round though)....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That I did not know:( thanks mi5
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Same with Giffgaff, you can use those in a locked to O2 phone. Really need to check with a Voda or Orange sim unless you can check with USSD code on an iPhone, like you can with android?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
There's no legal way of doing it anymore:( apple locked it out
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the comments guys!  Will look to getting another SIM card to try it out.

Liquid, it's a 32GB iPhone 4S.

Cheers,

Charlie

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

will 4s please work on a virgin sim card?

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in a similar situation. Been on an O2 pay monthly contract and bought a second hand iphone 4S from ebay locked to O2. However I also want to use it on the 3 network so requested O2 to unlock it. This is after I used the phone on my O2 card (after SIM swap to a micro sim).

Now it has been 5 days since I requested the unlock, if 3 could do the unlocking in 2 days, why is O2 taking so long??

Message 9 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Unlocking can take up to 28 days unfortunately. As for why 3 can do it quicker 😕 maybe you were just lucky.

@pykey yes it will if the 4s in unlocked
Message 10 of 10