cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling All iPhone 5s/5c owners. I need your help !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling for help off all you iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c owners.

I really need your help in my dilemma at being near my time to upgrade to the next iPhone.

My History :

I have used various iPhones and my current handset is the iPhone 5 16gb Black-Slate, which I've been using for nearly a year on the o2 Network, and now am very interested in upgrading to one of the new iPhones.

What I'm asking from all you early adopters of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, is to please give me an honest, real life user review of how you are finding your new iPhone.

Your Reviews on ;

• What is the battery life like for you, and how does it handle iOS7.
  • Is the iPhone 5s really snappier than the iPhone 5 ,with its new a7 chip.
  • How does the iPhone 5c handle. is it sturdy with the plastic shell.
  • Is the Camera and its functions better.
  • In true life what is the Touch ID like. Is it hit and miss or accurate.
  • What is 4G like on the new iPhone.
  • What colour and capacity did you opt for and why.
  • What handset did you upgrade from and how does your new handset compare.

As I'm going to be using the iPhone on the o2 Network I need you guys and gals to tell me how it really is.

Really looking forward to your frank and honest reviews.

Thank you in advance.

Lee.

iphone 5s:5c.jpeg

Message 1 of 98
97 REPLIES 97

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous
Thank you the idea of an alternative case idea. I'll have to take a look on their website. Not too expensive ?

The Slim Armor S was £15.99 from SPIgen's "fulfilled by Amazon" store. There are a few other cases by them that are worth a look, from slim to tank-like

Message 31 of 98

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the case offer a raised edge to protect the screen if you laid it face down ?

Yeah good to see your using your overdraft to good use.  wink

And a big thumbs up for applying Apple Care +

How long have we Uk users been waiting for this !!

There is a raised edge but I'm not 100% certain the phone would stay in place from a face down impact. I'm not going to test it out for obvious reasons.

Yeah we've been waiting a while for AppleCare+. Seemed sensible to apply it as I smashed my 5 within 6 weeks of owning it after it fell out of a locker at the gym and I had to claim on the contents insurance to get an out of warranty replacement losing my no claims discount so seemed a good idea to apply it and then I can claim on that if I damage it and start building my NCD on my home insurance again

Message 32 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
iPhone 5s 64GB space grey.

"What is the battery life like for you, and how does it handle iOS7."

Amazing. Absolutely incredible. I've never seen anything like it. I'm getting an extra 3+ hours usage to what I got with my 5. I don't have to worry about the battery running out now.

It's now 8pm, I took my phone off charge at 7am, I've had nearly 4 hours usage (loads of texts, playing games, playing music, Tapatalk, web browsing and playing with slo mo video)...40% remaining.

It's my favourite thing about the 5s after the fingerprint sensor.

"Is the iPhone 5s really snappier than the iPhone 5 ,with its new a7 chip."

Yes; mainly in games but also noticeable in the camera, and when loading heavy web pages. 'Light' web browsing doesn't seem to load any faster, but that's not really an issue.

"Is the Camera and its functions better."

Much better in low light. Slo mo video is fun. It has a more natural flash which doesn't seem to flood pictures with light.

"In true life what is the Touch ID like. Is it hit and miss or accurate."

So long as I use the pad of my finger/thumb it's accurate and fast just about every time. Very easy to set up too. If I use the edge of my finger/thumb it's more hit and miss. There's a slight learning curve in the best part of your digits to use.

"What colour and capacity did you opt for and why."

64GB space grey. Even though I have 24GB free I like to have the option of having more on my device if I want it. I got space grey because I had a white Galaxy S3 followed by a white iPhone 5, so fancied a change.

"What handset did you upgrade from and how does your new handset compare."

iPhone 5 64GB. I prefer the space grey to white. The 5s is noticeably faster. I love TouchID. Battery life is worlds ahead. I'm not sure if my 5 was a dud or if the M7 coprocessor makes all the difference, but it really is an incredible improvement. For me at least.

Camera is noticeably better.
Message 33 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good evening @matttye

Thank you for your review.
I keep hearing positive comments about the battery. Like you this is important to me too. I'm a heavy user who typically gets a days usage out of my iPhone 5.

I'm not a massive user of the camera spec but again people are so positive about it. Especially the slo-mo function.

Are you using 4G on your iPhone 5s. If so Do you think it's faster and allows better gamer experience ?

I'm moving more and more to perhaps the Space Grey and 32Gb which is a step up from my current 16Gb capacity.

Most people are making good remarks about the touch I.d and I feel it's full usefulness has yet to be achieved.

Again thank you for taking the time to compose your review.

I appreciate it.

Message 34 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous evening @Anonymous

Thank you for your review.
I keep hearing positive comments about the battery. Like you this is important to me too. I'm a heavy user who typically gets a days usage out of my iPhone 5.

I'm not a massive user of the camera spec but again people are so positive about it. Especially the slo-mo function.

Are you using 4G on your iPhone 5s. If so Do you think it's faster and allows better gamer experience ?

I'm moving more and more to perhaps the Space Grey and 32Gb which is a step up from my current 16Gb capacity.

Most people are making good remarks about the touch I.d and I feel it's full usefulness has yet to be achieved.

Again thank you for taking the time to compose your review.

I appreciate it.

I've just remembered something that may be contributing to my battery life, and may not result in such a drastic difference for you...

I did have my Gmail email account set to push (as well as my iCloud account), but when I got my 5s I was no longer able to use Gmail push and now have it set to manual. This might well be making a big difference. It is still very much improved. 

There's no 4G in my area so I'm still on a 3G tarriff. I can't bring myself to pay for 4G when I'll only get to use it every other weekend on my trips to London area. 

I agree about TouchID's usefulness not yet being achieved. I think that it would be perfect if they tied it in with the iCloud keychain feature, so that you can login to websites (and preferably apps as well) by using your fingerprint. 

No probs slight_smile 

Message 35 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
@matttye

Hi,

I have my mail set to fetch every 15
Minutes. I use yahoo , hotmail and iCloud accounts. When I had them set to push I was achieving probably only half a days use due to the sheer amount of e mails I received ! Especially from this forum. Now I've turned them off I get a full day again.

That said others have remarked on how better the battery is. Maybe it's because it's marginally bigger than the iPhone 5.

Many are signing up to 4G even if their city has not been rolled out to get the bigger data deal by signing up before the 31:10:13 as it can be used on 3G too.

I do have 4G in my home town but as I'm payg it's not open to me yet. 😞
Message 36 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous

Hi,

I have my mail set to fetch every 15
Minutes. I use yahoo , hotmail and iCloud accounts. When I had them set to push I was achieving probably only half a days use due to the sheer amount of e mails I received ! Especially from this forum. Now I've turned them off I get a full day again.

That said others have remarked on how better the battery is. Maybe it's because it's marginally bigger than the iPhone 5.

Many are signing up to 4G even if their city has not been rolled out to get the bigger data deal by signing up before the 31:10:13 as it can be used on 3G too.

I do have 4G in my home town but as I'm payg it's not open to me yet. 😞

That's the same with me.. spam becomes even more annoying when it annihalates the battery on my phone. I think that some websites just blatantly ignore requests not to send any information, because I always make sure I untick boxes that say "please send me info about blah blah blah" or I tick boxes that say "I do not wish to receive info about blah blah blah." 

My battery is now at 14hr 10mins standby, 5hr 46mins usage, 21%. I'm still in the wanting to pick it up and play with it every few minutes stage, so once that phase is over the battery will just go on and on and on. I think I could probably make it through two days with my normal usage. It seems really really good at idling now. 

I don't use that much data really, only used about 2GB since I got my iPhone 5 last year. I normally always have WiFi! 'My O2' only gives me the option to upgrade to 2GB now that I've taken out the 1GB plan as well. 

Message 37 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome.

Two days of usage without charging !

I'm almost sold on getting one.

wink
Message 38 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.

I visited my local Apple Store today to have a tinker with the working demo models of the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s.

After trying the iPhone 5c I like it and as others have said it is on par with the iPhone 5, just with a plastic back. The colours are striking and the cases you can buy are well different.

My favourite is the White version.

After trying the iPhone 5s I can see this is a worthy upgrade to my iPhone 5, and now have been able to compare its speed along side my iPhone 5. It is snappier. I obviously couldn't try out the Touch i.d as they are disabled on the display models for obvious reasons, but recent comments on this feature shows it is impressive. The cases look nice even though they are quite expensive.

Unfortunately at the store entrance was this 'a' frame, but at this stage I'm still not at the point of parting with the readies !

small out of stock.JPG

Message 39 of 98

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got the iPhone 5s, prior to this I had the iPhone 5.

I'm only on my 2nd charge with my 5s, but I'm getting over 9 hours of usage on it, on my iPhone 5 I could just about scrape 8 hours. I'm fairly regimental with my usage, so this is a good indication to see if the battery life is any better. In my opinion the 5s battery is better than the iPhone 5.

One thing that I have noticed a considerable battery saving on, is with my fitness app Endomondo. With Endomondo, you can use it to track the distance covered from various activities such as walking, cycling, running and many more and also shows you on a map the route you have took on your chosen activity. I use Endomondo when I go out walking. The battery saving is due to the M7 chip that is in the 5s, which is a co-processor that collects data from the accelerometer, gyroscopes. compasses, GPS and then off loads the collecting and processing of the data from the main CPU (basically the A7 processor in the 5s).

Basically the M7 collects, processes and stores sensor data even if the device is asleep, and applications can retrieve data when the screen is powered up again. This reduces power draw of the device and saves battery life. It will allow fitness apps that track physical activity and access data from the M7 without constantly engaging the main A7 CPU. It will enable applications to be aware of what type of movement the user is experiencing, such as driving, walking, running or sleeping.

I had iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, and the 5s came with it pre installed. On both devices iOS 7 ran fine, however, I do find that iOS 7 runs more smoothly and is more fluid on the 5s, which is to be expected with the more powerful A7 processor.

I took some indoor shots to try the sensor and the new flash and I also took some indoor shots without the flash. I find the quality is in my opinion more sharper than the iPhone 5. Don't get me wrong, the camera since the iPhone 4s has been excellent, its just I find the 5s camera has the edge over the iPhone 5.

Also, I was seriously impressed with the flash shots that I took. They looked really natural and not overly bright and spotlighted like some flash photos can be. I haven't had a chance to try out the slow mo feature yet so I cannot comment on it, but from use I know the panorama mode works beautifully, but in fairness this was the case with the iPhone 5 too.

Touch ID.

Before I set this up. I worked out what hand and fingers I used the most, as I sometimes hold my iPhone in a different hand. From what I'd worked out, I programmed Touch ID with my thumb and index finger on both my left and right hand. The set up for it is very easy; the on screen guide walks you through what you need to do. The second part of the setup tells you to scan the edges, tip of the finger/thumb so that it can detect the full print area. After I'd setup my prints has I've described, Touch ID works absolutely flawlessly. I have in-excess of 99 percent success with it.

Prior to having the 5s. I never once used a passcode on any iPhone that I'd owned (stupid I know Smiley Embarassed) has I found it an inconvenience to enter the pin every time I wanted to use my iPhone. But with Touch ID, it works so fast and so flawlessly its not a hassle to use at all. So for me, Touch ID has converted me into a more secure iPhone user, and if it does the same for others, then this can only be a good thing.

4G (what is that lol) I don't have that in my neck of the woods.

I went with the 32 gb Space Grey. I've had the 32 gb size since the 4s, has I was amassing more and more photos, music, apps, and a 16 gb was no longer enough. I went with the Space Grey because with my iPhone 5 I went for the first time with a white iPhone, but after a few months of owning it, I'd realized that it would be my last white one. I begun to find it looked less premium due to the white color when compared to the black iPhone, so I promised myself when I got my next iPhone that I would get a black one. I'm absolutely delighted with the Space Grey & Black, its a really nice color combination and looks really premium and classy.

Hope this helps.

Message 40 of 98