• 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23585898

and direct apple link

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

The original story is clearly an Urban Myth but stuff does happen

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

Message 21 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Hey hang on, if it's on the internet it must be true! Smiley Surprised

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

People criticise Apple for a number of reasons, but I bet there would not be many other manufacturers that would offer to do what Apple are doing with regards to the chargers. Responsible thing to do in my opinion.

Thats the thing though, other manufacturers are all using a mini or micro USB connector to charge their phones so they wouldnt have to...

Message 23 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Covering old ground !

wink
Message 24 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

People criticise Apple for a number of reasons, but I bet there would not be many other manufacturers that would offer to do what Apple are doing with regards to the chargers. Responsible thing to do in my opinion.

Thats the thing though, other manufacturers are all using a mini or micro USB connector to charge their phones so they wouldnt have to...

But whether Apple choose to use whatever connector on their chargers, the fact is £15 is not a lot of money for a charger. I can remember a friend of mine trying to source an official Samsung charger a year or two back. The price was more that £20 if I remember correctly.

If Apple use their own type of connector on their iPhone chargers and they are cheaper or the same price as some other smartphone manufacturers chargers, then I don't see why it matters if it isn't micro or mini USB.

Personally I find the new Lightning connector on the iPhone 5 to be much better with regards to inserting it into the phone, has the connector can go in anyway around. Whereas with mini/micro USB, they will only go in one way.

Message 25 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But whether Apple choose to use whatever connector on their chargers, the fact is £15 is not a lot of money for a charger. I can remember a friend of mine trying to source an official Samsung charger a year or two back. The price was more that £20 if I remember correctly.

If Apple use their own type of connector on their iPhone chargers and they are cheaper or the same price as some other smartphone manufacturers chargers, then I don't see why it matters if it isn't micro or mini USB.

Personally I find the new Lightning connector on the iPhone 5 to be much better with regards to inserting it into the phone, has the connector can go in anyway around. Whereas with mini/micro USB, they will only go in one way.

Every manufacturer, apart from Apple, uses USB as the standard for ports and connectors for phones and most other devices, i. e. tablets, etc. That's why O2 is able to sell phones without chargers, except for Apple of course. Practically every person who owns a communication device already has a USB charger from an old device, which would be usable on any new device.The Lightning connector has forced people who own other Apple prioducts to have to buy adapters for it, spending even more money. So what if you can insert the connector any way around? How much effort does it take to look to see which way a USB connector needs to be inserted? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 26 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Every manufacturer, apart from Apple, uses USB as the standard for ports and connectors for phones and most other devices, i. e. tablets, etc. That's why O2 is able to sell phones without chargers, except for Apple of course. Practically every person who owns a communication device already has a USB charger from an old device, which would be usable on any new device.The Lightning connector has forced people who own other Apple prioducts to have to buy adapters for it, spending even more money. So what if you can insert the connector any way around? How much effort does it take to look to see which way a USB connector needs to be inserted? 

An old USB charger does neccessarily mean it will work correctly on a new device. Different batteries in different devices can require a certain milliamp/ampage to charge properly. Its always best to use the supplied charger to ensure the millampage/ampage are correct for the battery in the device that its getting used on.

Seems a bit pointless to sell a phone without a charger, on the basis that its assumed that the customer will have a suitable charger already. If you buy a phone it should have a charger with it, seems a bit mean to not include one in my opinion.

Yeah its not much effort to check the way a connector gets inserted, I was just pointing out why I prefer the Lightning connector to the micro/mini USB connector. If people prefer the mini/micro USB connector, then perhaps the iPhone isn't for them. Personally though, I wouldn't base my buying decission on the type of connector the smartphone had on it slight_smile

Yeah I agree, the Lightning connector has forced some people to buy new adapters for their old devices. And I think the 30 pin to Lightning adaptor could surely be supplied in the box with Apple devices that use the Lightning connector.

Message 27 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with adamtemp about locking the thread. Its just going off topic now.
Message 28 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You are an Apple person. I am not. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. The thread has wandered off topic slightly, but it's still germaine to the subject. If the mods want to lock the thread, so be it, but I think the subject was worth a discussion.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 29 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't agree, I can get a charging cable for my phone for a couple of pounds at most as it is a simple Micro USB cable.  

I simply wouldn't pay £15 for a charger for my phone. It could be said I wouldn't own a phone that requires a proprietary connection for this reason.

I don't think the topic should be locked. It may have gone off topic but this is an interesting discussion slight_smile

Message 30 of 34