Did you mean: 

Apple Watch 6 Mobile Data Issue

Andy07
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I am trying to activate mobile data on a new Apple Watch 6 purchased from Apple, but when I go into the Apple Watch app on my phone and select Mobile Data, I am taken to the following message (since attempting to set up mobile data 6 days ago):

“We're setting up your Apple Watch on the O2 network and we'll text you when it's all done. If you don't receive a text within 24 hours, call 202 for free from your O2 mobile, quoting reference code 08."

I didn’t get a text and nobody on 202 seems to know how to help/what reference code 08 is, so I wondered if anyone on here can?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Andy07
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Liam5, thanks for the reply and it’s good to know someone else has encountered the problem and it’s not just me, although sadly I have no solution and am still trying to get O2 to engage with helping find one!

I have been in contact with O2 every day since 21/09 but sadly have made no progress whatsoever. I’ve had a mix of responses and proposed solutions but no overall resolution... first from 202 but when it became clear that wasn’t going to get me anywhere quick, I turned to O2 Twitter and here. O2 Twitter are responsive but have not been able to tell me what they are doing to resolve the problem, despite me asking a few times. Current advice is wait 24 hours (25 hours ago) but nothing has changed (which I’ve let them know) and as I’ve said, I asked them what they have done so I understand what they were asking me to wait 24 hours for but not had an answer.

@O2Georgina has taken my mobile number but I’ve not heard back from her as yet but I’m hoping she can help soon as no-one taking ownership of helping with this problem is really frustrating. I bought the device specifically to use the mobile data function regularly!

If you get anywhere with a solution, please can you let me know, and I’ll do the same!

Best wishes.
Message 11 of 14

Liam5
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Andy07,

Apologies for delay in replying.

So have been back onto O2 through the 202 number. Spoke to a lady who says that she can see that my watch set-up and airtime account back on the 25/09 and then cancelled it again almost immediately and thinks this is causing the problem. That O2 need to re-set the esim/account, but she can't do it from her access and am now waiting a further 3-5 working days for someone from technical to contact/call me back to resolve this.

Apparently delay is becuase O2 only operating on roughly 50% staff in their customer services due to the virus restrictions and they have to send forms through to various departments to prioritise the work.

That will have been two weeks since I got the watch. Strangely, my wife has the same Pay Monthly contract, phone and watch and her set up within minutes without any issues.

So still waiting. Will let you know if anything changes.

Not a great system or endorsement for a large Network Provider such as O2 that they can't resolve this immediately on the phone when I have been with them for about 10 years and paid for some expensive kit on top of the contract price.

I suppose I have to be grateful that this is the just a 1st world problem I'm whinging about.

Message 12 of 14

Andy07
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Liam5

My watch has finally been connected today. I don’t know exactly what the problem was/how it was fixed, but things started to get moving when Laura (an O2 Guru on the O2 Twitter feed) got involved and escalated the issue to a technical team. She has taken ownership and been very helpful.

If you still have the same message, I’d suggest private messaging O2 on Twitter and ask if Laura can help, tagging it #O2Guru.

I hope that helps and the problem is sorted soon for you too.
Message 13 of 14

Hayley91
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am having this exact issue and have been having it since September! I've been on the phone (202) to 7 different advisors today and I am still no further forward. I've just messaged on twitter further to your advice so thank you for that. Praying they will sort this issue soon. Doesn't seem to happen to anybody else not on 02. Very disappointed that I paid more for the cellular watch that I am now unable to use to it's full capacity.
Message 14 of 14