cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G connection problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
My iPhone 5 running 7.0.3, I have an issue with connecting to 3G, but my wife (iPhone 4 ISO 7.0.3) and friends iPhone all on O2 can connect in certain places. Especially indoors they have no problem connecting to 3G, but my phone can't. It also struggles with O2 connection. I always have a red dot on my phone app (voicemail connection).

The only difference I can see is something I have only noticed recently. Under 'Settings' where my wife and friends say 'Mobile', mine says 'Cellular'. I am the only one using Apple iMac to install software and iTunes, everyone else has connected by PC.

Should this make any difference, as I am wondering if somewhere it has some American coding installed as this is causing conflict with my UK settings, or am I totally wrong. I have done a complete reset and a complete reinstall as a new phone not from back-up, and it keeps coming up with 'Cellular'.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use a pin in the sim tray and it will eject. Remove your sim and clean it with a clean micro fibre cloth etc. Ensure no dust is inside the slot too

If you continue with issues then possibly seek help from an apple Genius Bar.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
The mobile and cellular tags are just how your phones language is set at.

Uk will say mobile.

It has no effect on connection.

When it's British English it shows you Mobile Data.Go to settings-general-international and change the language to English and it will show you Cellular Data.

Look at http://status.o2.co.uk just incase.

Have you tried resets and cleaning your sim.

Settings , general , reset , reset network settings.

And Or hold the top button and home button in together until the apple logo appears and let go.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been it to an O2 store and they confirmed my phone is set to UK English settings. This is what I can't understand.

Like I said I've have done a complete set and complete re-install. But I haven't 'cleaning the SIM'. How do you that.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use a pin in the sim tray and it will eject. Remove your sim and clean it with a clean micro fibre cloth etc. Ensure no dust is inside the slot too

If you continue with issues then possibly seek help from an apple Genius Bar.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/
Message 4 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You take the sim out of your phone and wipe it with a clean dry lint free cloth. Smiley Frustrated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same problem for a couple of weeks, last week I updated from iphone 5 to 5S and I still have the problem, losing 3G or none at all, in areas where previously was not a problem.

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the advice given here and in various other threads to try and remedy the issue and or use the Apple Genius Bar link to make an appointment.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem for me. Keeps changing to GPRS even in good 3G areas and at times getting the red dot associated with the phone going straight through to voicemail even when I have good reception. Turning airplane mode on and off can help for a very short time and rebooting can work for a few minutes or more but is not a solution to this problem!
BTW the nearest Genius Bar is 2 hours drive so please dont bother posting a suggestion that I make an apoointment!
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Same problem for me. Keeps changing to GPRS even in good 3G areas and at times getting the red dot associated with the phone going straight through to voicemail even when I have good reception. Turning airplane mode on and off can help for a very short time and rebooting can work for a few minutes or more but is not a solution to this problem!

Perhaps think about picking up a blank sim card from your local O2 store and they will perform the sim swap there for you.

Or have one posted out and perform the swap yourself.

Apple Genius Bar would run a diagnostic on the handset for you if that does not resolve the issue.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garglesnarf

If you can't get to the Apple store, take the phone back to o2 store and let them have a look, it might need reparing

Message 10 of 11