Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats this icon mean?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Ok...heres another query from 'Mrs Clueless'. Yesterday opened up my S3 and a full page message confronted me about an update that I had to install... so after a bit of ohhh errring (in my head) I pressed install, and the little green robot started swirling (which I presumed was the android robot :)) However once all this was complete and supposedly updated I am left (at the top of my screen) an icon that looks like an N or lightening flash. No idea what it means or how to get rid of it? (Stop laughing please) Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The clue was the fact that you said wifi went off wink It won't turn itself on again now unless you switch it on in the settings menu.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like NFC (Near Field Communication) has turned itself on!

As you have had to ask what it is I'm going to assume you don't use it 😉

Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Untick NFC

Hope that helps!
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi gillsfankev,

You are absolutely right in your assumption that i wouldnt use it (or even know what it is haha) We haven't been in touch before but i am 68 years of age, a retired nurse and VERY new to the smartphone world. Add to that I am a complete technophobe. The guys on here have been brilliant in guiding me through things that you experts do as second nature!! Even when I was i Spain and had problems this forum helped tremendously. Thanks again Smiley LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

mmmmm, done that and icon still showing??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're very welcome!

I'm too starting to get to the age where I'm looking to my 5 year old Niece for technical advice!!!

Everything that I know about smartphones comes from not being afraid of them and playing around with them. But I can see your point.

There's never a silly question!

Regards.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

mmmmm, done that and icon still showing??

Hmmmmm? Ok then??? I'll have another think and get back to you!

In the meantine MI5 or one of the others may chip in hopefully!

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
Thanks for your support...however if you see my last post..i did that and icon still showing?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://tinyurl.com/d8tj3lz

Does it look like any of these???

Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No, it doesnt look like any of those icons really. Its a grey capital N with a blue 'bobble' at the bottom of the 1st N stroke. Also when I did as you first requested, though I did what you said, it turned Wifi icon off but didnt get rid of the N...I went to the top of screen and turned Wifi back on...but N is still sitting there hahaha

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Are you sure you have moved the green slider next to NFC to the off position? I'm not aware of any other "N's" but I'll have a look around for an answer....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13