cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sony xperia p lost file

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi ..i have accidently put a dile in my recycle bin...I have lost my gallery..and when i go to album to view photos the album is empty and showing a blankscreen then goes straight back to homepage on its own.I can see the pictures when i go onto camera but as thumbnail,when i go onto a picture it goes to the empty album but nothing there...Im so confused as i have only just got this phone and cannot find anything on internet anywhere !!!!.........What have i done???????...need help !!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go into Settings >Applications and click on "All" tab. Find gallery and go into it then select "Clear Data". Restart the phone and this should force the phone to rescan your photos. If they are on the phone, gallery should then find them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As long as you haven't permanently deleted any system files (I assume you're not rooted etc) then you can do a factory reset which will reset your OS and out all your directories back into place.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you just deleted the album thumbnail cache on your SD card.

Try this:
Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Gallery, and clicking "Reset" or a similar worded function. Essentially you want to reset the Gallery application to factory defaults, as I don't believe resetting the actual phone to factory defaults will help in this case as MI5 has said, unless you have removed any system files (which I highly doubt you have) then it will be a case of just telling the Gallery application to rescan your card for the pictures.

If you want to have a "quick 'n' dirty" fix, download and install QuickPic from the Play Store (link below). In my opinion this is a better gallery app than the stock that comes with Android, and it generates its own thumbnail/image cache so you can see for sure if your images are still on the card or not.

QuickPic: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Phone will rescan for all media files everytime you start the phone or go into gallery, so if it's that simple just reboot.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to say MI5 I've never seen this happen.. I know Android devices mount the SD card at boot, but I'm unsure whether the device actually scans for media or not.. The reason being if you had a 32GB class 4 microSD full with pictures, your phone would be very slow for ~10 minutes after it loaded the Android desktop whilst it scanned and cached all the media files. I know Gallery never used to automatically pick up new files and folders on my Milestone 2 which was on 2.3.4, so I'm just trying to suggest everything other than a factory reset as in my opinion it is a pretty drastic course of action when just one application has stopped functioning correctly..

But then again, I could be wrong tongue

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

But then again, I could be wrong tongue

Indeed, you could be wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

neelyp
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This has happened to my phone since I did the system update yesterday. The symptoms are identical to the OPs.

If I connect the phone to PC I can still access the photos so they are not deleted but no way of seeing them on the phone.

Even opening the camera shows the thumbnails on the screen but trying to open a picture from here just results in the phone thinking about it then going back to the camera screen.

Any clues??

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The thumbnails are stored in a different directory to the actual files. If you have nothing in "My Files" "DCIM" then you have deleted them I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

neelyp
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The photos are still in the folder, I can open them on a computer but not on the phone.

This is a major pain for me as I use the camera quite a lot and not being able to see the pictures until i've hooked it up to the PC is annoying to say the least.

Even if I take a new photo, the album does not open.

Confused!

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go into Settings >Applications and click on "All" tab. Find gallery and go into it then select "Clear Data". Restart the phone and this should force the phone to rescan your photos. If they are on the phone, gallery should then find them.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12