cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jelly bean

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi! i have an sony xperia s and i've been seeing on the web that jelly bean was rolled out to my phone but i haven't got the update but loads of other people have the update for the xperia s?

i'm not too sure about the whole android update process so if some one could explain it to me please because i've check my phone over ota and it says my phone is up to date, and every when i use the sony update service it says my phone is up to date.... i've rung o2 to find out why i don't have the update and they have no idea what i'm talking about....
so can some one please help me out? how long is it till my phone gets jelly bean?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, just bear in mind we are all customers here and not official O2.

JellyBean (Android 4.1.2) Has been released by Sony for the Xperia S.

If you got your phone through O2 chances are it is Network Locked to O2 and you will have to wait for O2 to approve the firmware before it is released to your handset. This will take months unfortunately. (Over time see the many many forum threads bemoaning this)

If you bought your handset SIM free (Via a retailer other than O2) chances are you are not network locked and will receive this update from Sony direct.

Either way connect your phone to PC Companion and see if it says their is an update. if it doesn't update then you are network locked and will have to wait for O2.

O2 will not give you a timeframe for release and will only say "it's in testing for your user expierience etc.....)

There are ways around this and as you can see although I am O2 network locked I have it but this involves a bit of mucking around and with the greatest respect might be a bit

(How do I say it without it sounding patronising, which I'm not being)

'Advanced'

I'm more than happy to step by step you through it if you wanted I have no problem with that, but it's kind of once you start you have to finish.

If there's anything else I can do please keep asking.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

i need it explaining to me here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/15/message-id/19714

i'm confused with the whole process of android updates so many different things to consider

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, just bear in mind we are all customers here and not official O2.

JellyBean (Android 4.1.2) Has been released by Sony for the Xperia S.

If you got your phone through O2 chances are it is Network Locked to O2 and you will have to wait for O2 to approve the firmware before it is released to your handset. This will take months unfortunately. (Over time see the many many forum threads bemoaning this)

If you bought your handset SIM free (Via a retailer other than O2) chances are you are not network locked and will receive this update from Sony direct.

Either way connect your phone to PC Companion and see if it says their is an update. if it doesn't update then you are network locked and will have to wait for O2.

O2 will not give you a timeframe for release and will only say "it's in testing for your user expierience etc.....)

There are ways around this and as you can see although I am O2 network locked I have it but this involves a bit of mucking around and with the greatest respect might be a bit

(How do I say it without it sounding patronising, which I'm not being)

'Advanced'

I'm more than happy to step by step you through it if you wanted I have no problem with that, but it's kind of once you start you have to finish.

If there's anything else I can do please keep asking.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you slight_smile all i wanted to know, unfortunately for me my xperia s is o2 locked and even when i plug my phone in to the computer and use sony update service, sony update service says my phone is up to date...

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried it with PC Companion? Sometimes SUS misses the updates
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

i've tried with sony pc companion and it says my phone was up to date but i'll try again later today and see what happens with abit of luck.... but if o2 hasn't released the update for my xperia s which is locked to o2 then why would it work through sony pc companion?

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was just a hope that it might. Looks like you'll have to wait for o2 to release it
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the other forum for this http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/JellyBean-roll-out-Xperia-S/td-p/43850...

You will find a youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_jLwaiGXi0

I did this method on to my O2 branded and unrooted Xperia S and it worked fine. It's worth a try. Needs no skill just follow it to the letter.

Message 9 of 9