Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Z Android 4.4.4

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Sony have announced this will be happening in the next few weeks and that it will fix the chronic issues with battery life that have been present since the 4.4.2 update.

Does anyone with an inside line to O2 know when we will actually be getting it?
Having to recharge three times per day without actually using the phone is a little frustrating.....
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris_K is your man slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let's hope so.

Must be frustrating that these are available but then sometimes not thro O2. 😞
Message 3 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm sure O2 will roll it out - They are usually pretty quick with Sony updates too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 30

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I sincerely hope it's rolled out soon, my Z is virtually unusable currently regarding battery life, or crippled if I roll back the GP Services version.

I couldn't sell it if I wanted to because of this, though I don't want to as it's an excellent phone apart from the bug.
Is the 4.4.4 update official then?
Message 5 of 30

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Cut paste from Sony Forum :

Rickard Sony Xperia Support
Aug 25

In June we received reports highlighting excessive battery drain on devices running Android 4.4.1 or higher - and identified that the root cause was related to the latest version of Google Play Services (4.4.52).
Google released a fix through an update for the Google Play Services app – it has restored battery consumption to normal levels in the following devices: Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet and Xperia ZL2.
For Xperia Z, Xperia ZR, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z, Sony Mobile is preparing an additional correction, which will be delivered in an upcoming software release - this release is now undergoing final stages of testing and will be available shortly*.
We encourage all users to update the Google Play Services app regularly to ensure normal Android application, service and device functionality.
*All software release dates are dependent on local and operator approval and release times may vary.

We just need O2 to hurry it through!!
Message 6 of 30

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks, relieved there's an update in the pipeline means i can use my Z properly! Mine's a secondhand one that may have originally come from EE, so will be interesting to see when it gets the update.
Message 7 of 30

AlignedChaos
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Sony started rolling the worldwide update yesterday according to them!
Message 8 of 30

AlignedChaos
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Chatting to Sony, they say this update (which fixes the battery life issues) will need to be certified by UK networks before we get it.

As far as I know, Asia, France and Australia have it so far.

Hurry up O2, I want my phone to be useable again! slight_smile
Message 9 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Appreciate the frustration.

Fingers crossed it happens and swiftly.
Message 10 of 30